Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org> on 2003/11/06 01:00:48 UTC

hierarchical servicemanagers with fortress?

I'm currently exploring the possibilities for implementing a
cocoon-inspired web-application framework without the complexity of XML
processing (simplified sitemap that controls process flow from
generators to serializers, no transformers, just support for
aggregation/inclusion and pluggable template engines). And I'm looking
into ways of using Fortress for that purpose. However, if I want to use
subsitemaps with their own definition of components that can override
parent sitemap's component definitions, how should/would I implement
that? The natural way seems to be to use nested service managers, right?

Then the next natural question is: how to proceed? Use
fortress.role.impl.lookup.FortressServiceManager/fortress.role.impl.DefaultContainer?
Use framework.service.DefaultServiceManager? I guess the answer boils
down to the question, how do I want to configure it... let's say that I
will have the configuration data in the same format as the usual
fortress configuration. what is the recommended way?

Rgds,
Neeme

Re: hierarchical servicemanagers with fortress?

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Neeme Praks wrote:

> I'm currently exploring the possibilities for implementing a
> cocoon-inspired web-application framework without the complexity of XML
> processing (simplified sitemap that controls process flow from
> generators to serializers, no transformers, just support for
> aggregation/inclusion and pluggable template engines). And I'm looking
> into ways of using Fortress for that purpose. However, if I want to use
> subsitemaps with their own definition of components that can override
> parent sitemap's component definitions, how should/would I implement
> that? The natural way seems to be to use nested service managers, right?

ServiceManagers in Fortress and Merlin are only access points.  The containers
are what hold the components.  By default, a Fortress container will use the
ServiceManager from the parent container to resolve components that it cannot
find.  It works nicely.

> Then the next natural question is: how to proceed? Use
> fortress.role.impl.lookup.FortressServiceManager/fortress.role.impl.DefaultContainer?
> Use framework.service.DefaultServiceManager? I guess the answer boils
> down to the question, how do I want to configure it... let's say that I
> will have the configuration data in the same format as the usual
> fortress configuration. what is the recommended way?

Use the DefaultContainer.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin