Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Ron MacRae <Ro...@amdahl.com> on 2000/10/31 17:02:22 UTC

Tomcat on OS/390 AKA MVS

I'm in the process of evaluating which webserver we should use for porting
our NT JAVA servlet code to MVS.  The 2 web servers I'm trying are IBM's
WebSphere and Tomcat.

As part of this I've installed & started TOMCAT under MVS. The only problem
I have is that Tomcat expects web pages to be in ASCII format but the MVS
Unix System Services editor stores them in EBCDIC so when I display the page
with my browser it looks like garbage.

I can correct this by preprocessing my html page with the command "iconv -f
IBM-1047 -t ISO8859-1 index.src  > index.htm" which converts from EBCDIC to
ASCII. The page then displays correctly.

Is there any way to make Tomcat do EBCDIC to ASCII conversion as it reads
the page from the unix file system?

This is what WebSphere does but unfortunatly there are other
incompatabilities with WebSphere which seem to make it a non starter for our
purposes.

		Regards,
			Ron MacRae.

"Any opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily represent the
opinions or policies of Amdahl Corporation."