Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/24 20:02:05 UTC

Possible TomEE release news?

Wonder what people's thoughts are about possibly including TomEE releases in the Tomcat news feed on occasion?

Having some mention of TomEE on tomcat.apache.org would be nice -- most users still do not know it exists.  However, I've never mentioned it as I personally couldn't think of a good way to do that that didn't feel obtrusive or unnatural.  This might be more palatable and less permanent.

I remember Rémy did this some many years ago for an OpenEJB release once and it really helped.  We have a TomEE 1.7.0 release coming out soon we could try it with.

Thoughts?

-David

Re: Possible TomEE release news?

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> Wonder what people's thoughts are about possibly including TomEE releases in the Tomcat news feed on occasion?
>
> Having some mention of TomEE on tomcat.apache.org would be nice -- most users still do not know it exists. However, I've never mentioned it as I personally couldn't think of a good way to do that that didn't feel obtrusive or unnatural.

One good place is
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/PoweredBy

> This might be more palatable and less permanent.
>
> I remember Rémy did this some many years ago for an OpenEJB release once and it really helped.  We have a TomEE 1.7.0 release coming out soon we could try it with.
>
> Thoughts?

+1 for TomEE and Geronimo

there are many useful libraries and projects at ASF.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Possible TomEE release news?

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

> Wonder what people's thoughts are about possibly including TomEE releases
> in the Tomcat news feed on occasion?
>
> Having some mention of TomEE on tomcat.apache.org would be nice -- most
> users still do not know it exists.  However, I've never mentioned it as I
> personally couldn't think of a good way to do that that didn't feel
> obtrusive or unnatural.  This might be more palatable and less permanent.
>
> I remember Rémy did this some many years ago for an OpenEJB release once
> and it really helped.  We have a TomEE 1.7.0 release coming out soon we
> could try it with.
>
> Thoughts?

+1 for TomEE specifically, which looks a lot like Tomcat and is from the
ASF.

However, -1 for the others like Geronimo (as proposed by Konstantin) which
are very different from Tomcat. There's little relationship besides some
embedding, while the idea would be to point somewhere for Tomcat users
asking for Tomcat + CDI, JSF, etc.

Rémy

Re: Possible TomEE release news?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
David,

On 6/24/14, 2:02 PM, David Blevins wrote:
> Wonder what people's thoughts are about possibly including TomEE releases in the Tomcat news feed on occasion?
>
> Having some mention of TomEE on tomcat.apache.org would be nice -- most users still do not know it exists.  However, I've never mentioned it as I personally couldn't think of a good way to do that that didn't feel obtrusive or unnatural.  This might be more palatable and less permanent.
>
> I remember Rémy did this some many years ago for an OpenEJB release once and it really helped.  We have a TomEE 1.7.0 release coming out soon we could try it with.
>
> Thoughts?

+1

I think it would be a good idea to mention TomEE in our documentation,
too (e.g. "If you need more EE APIs with Tomcat, check out
<a>TomEE</a>""). Posting some release announcements on our home page
seems reasonable to me.

-chris

Re: Possible TomEE release news?

Posted by vaibhav kulkarni <vc...@gmail.com>.
Good thought.

vaibhav k

- sent from samsung galaxy

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com>.
On 24/06/14 20:02, David Blevins wrote:
> Wonder what people's thoughts are about possibly including TomEE releases in the Tomcat news feed on occasion?
>
> Having some mention of TomEE on tomcat.apache.org would be nice -- most users still do not know it exists.  However, I've never mentioned it as I personally couldn't think of a good way to do that that didn't feel obtrusive or unnatural.  This might be more palatable and less permanent.
>
> I remember Rémy did this some many years ago for an OpenEJB release once and it really helped.  We have a TomEE 1.7.0 release coming out soon we could try it with.
>
> Thoughts?

+1

Cheers

Jean-Frederic