Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by "Edwards, Jayme" <JC...@software.rockwell.com> on 2000/03/30 20:55:46 UTC

Ant module in Forte

I've written a module for Forte for Java 1.0 that adds support for Apache's "Ant" build scripting tool and am trying to figure out the best way to open the source up and get it finished.  I would like to contribute it under the Apache license, I'm not sure if it would be better to host on a Sun CVS or Apache/Jakarta CVS server. Either way, the module currently:

*	Requires Xalan 1.0, Xerces 1.0.3 and any version of Ant Post March 1st
*	Coexists properly with the XML module
*	Allows building of Ant projects and execution of Ant targets from within the IDE
*	Displays properties of each project, target, or task
*	Allows extensibility through a configurable XML file that maps tasks to attribute sets
*	Contains a template for creating a new project (in progress)
*	Will allow addition of new tasks with auto-validation for the required set of attributes for that task (wizard in progress)

Please let me know ASAP, I am working on another extensive integration project using Forte and could really use any help with development of the module from the community.

Jayme Edwards
Rockwell Software
Control Studio >>
[ http://www.openautomation.com/controlpak ]

Re: Ant module in Forte

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.

"Kevin A. Burton" wrote:

> Jayme Edwards wrote:
> >
> > As a side note, the package is currently org.apache.antmodule, I can modify
> > this to org.apache.tools.ant.module if you'd like. Also, there is nothing in
> > the module that alters the compilation of Ant, you will not need a separate
> > build, just an additional target to output the module that is itself
> > dependent on Xerces/Xalan (if desired). The module uses a combination of
> > XPath and the Ant API to accomplish the target execution/creation. Either
> > way, I want to make sure Sun is able to include this module in the
> > auto-update list for Forte , so whatever I/you would need to do to
> > accomplish this would be great.
> <snip>
>
> I am always +1 to see SUN OSS something. :)
>
> However this just doesn't "feel right"..  Forte is going to be OSS under
> the MPL eventually.  Why not just have it public (MPL but a separate DL)
> until then?  I don't see why we should adopt something that is IDE
> specific.  I mean would we host an ant-integration plugin for Symantec
> Visual Cafe? JBuilder?  I don't think so.

How is this any different than Tomcat hosting connectors to Microsoft's IIS or
Netscape's NES web servers?  If your goal is ubiquity, you go for it and don't
wait around for the ideal world that may or may not ever happen.

>  Also, would ASF people apply
> patches if 3rd parties find bugs.  This would be a drain on resources
> for something that is vendor specific.

If someone sends a patch to the IIS connector for Tomcat (as has happened), I'm
certainly interested in seeing it applied.

For Ant it's the same issue -- I'd prefer to see Ant used everywhere as a build
tool.  That means integration APIs with these environments.  After all, once they
see how cool Ant is because it's open sourced, your message about why they should
do the same gets reinforced.

> My opinion is that it should be open sourced.  We should work with you
> as much as possible but that it doesn't totally fit to put it in the
> Apache CVS.

I disagree.  If people want to contribute connectors for various environments, I'd
want to see them.

> Kevin

Craig

Re: Ant module in Forte

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com>.
> My opinion is that it should be open sourced.  We should work with you
> as much as possible but that it doesn't totally fit to put it in the
> Apache CVS.

+1, adapters should belong to the product to which they belong.

.duncan

Re: Ant module in Forte

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@relativity.yi.org>.
Jayme Edwards wrote:

> As a side note, the package is currently org.apache.antmodule, I can modify
> this to org.apache.tools.ant.module if you'd like. Also, there is nothing in
> the module that alters the compilation of Ant, you will not need a separate
> build, just an additional target to output the module that is itself
> dependent on Xerces/Xalan (if desired). The module uses a combination of
> XPath and the Ant API to accomplish the target execution/creation. Either
> way, I want to make sure Sun is able to include this module in the
> auto-update list for Forte , so whatever I/you would need to do to
> accomplish this would be great.
<snip>

I am always +1 to see SUN OSS something. :)

However this just doesn't "feel right"..  Forte is going to be OSS under
the MPL eventually.  Why not just have it public (MPL but a separate DL)
until then?  I don't see why we should adopt something that is IDE
specific.  I mean would we host an ant-integration plugin for Symantec
Visual Cafe? JBuilder?  I don't think so.  Also, would ASF people apply

--
Kevin A Burton (burton@apache.org)
http://relativity.yi.org

Re: Ant module in Forte

Re: Ant module in Forte

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
"Edwards, Jayme" wrote:

> I've written a module for Forte for Java 1.0 that adds support for Apache's "Ant" build scripting tool and am trying to figure out the best way to open the source up and get it finished.  I would like to contribute it under the Apache license, I'm not sure if it would be better to host on a Sun CVS or Apache/Jakarta CVS server. Either way, the module currently:
>
> *       Requires Xalan 1.0, Xerces 1.0.3 and any version of Ant Post March 1st
> *       Coexists properly with the XML module
> *       Allows building of Ant projects and execution of Ant targets from within the IDE
> *       Displays properties of each project, target, or task
> *       Allows extensibility through a configurable XML file that maps tasks to attribute sets
> *       Contains a template for creating a new project (in progress)
> *       Will allow addition of new tasks with auto-validation for the required set of attributes for that task (wizard in progress)
>
> Please let me know ASAP, I am working on another extensive integration project using Forte and could really use any help with development of the module from the community.

Uuuh, that sounds awesome!!

Ok, proposal:

 - Edwards donates the code to us (this means APL on top,
org.apache.tools.ant package names)
 - we place this into the jakarta-ant CVS (where you like it most)
 - give Edwards commit access
 - modify the ant build.xml to create two distributions: ant-plain and
ant-for-forte

What do you think?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.