Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Da...@lotus.com on 2001/06/20 18:03:22 UTC

QName conflict with Xalan-C++

Xerces has defined a class called QName.  Xalan-C++ has a class of the same
name and there is now a conflict with building Xalan using the latest
Xerces.

Obviously, without namespaces, we're going to continue to have collisions
like this, if we don't have a policy for naming such classes.

I mentioned in the email about the conflict with StringTokenizer that we
have taken to using "Xalan" as a prefix for such classes.  I urge the
Xerces developer to consider doing something like this as well.  The
overhead of fixing Xalan to work around this conflict is not insignificant,
and I'd like to avoid it in the future.  This will also help
interoperability with other XML application as well.

Dave

Re: QName conflict with Xalan-C++

Posted by Tinny Ng <tn...@ca.ibm.com>.
David,

Agree.  When we create new class in future, we will adopt some Xerces specific
naming convention.

But for QName, is it possible for Xalan to work around this conflict this
time?  Thanks a lot!

Tinny

Posted by James Berry <jb...@criticalpath.com>.
Hi David,

I'm trying to figure out why that didn't show up in my linking between the
two last week. Is this something very new, or does this show up only during
static linking of the two?

Thanks, by the way, for the catch on the namespace processing issue. I'm
working on a Mac OS X port of Xalan C++, along with Xerces 1.5. I'd been
seeing the issue, but had assumed that it was still something busted in my
Xalan port! All is better now following Tinny's fix for that problem.

But then I'm confused, since I'm not seeing the conflict with Qname... ;)

-jdb

On 6/20/01 9:03 AM, "David_N_Bertoni@lotus.com" <Da...@lotus.com>
wrote:

> Xerces has defined a class called QName.  Xalan-C++ has a class of the same
> name and there is now a conflict with building Xalan using the latest
> Xerces.
>
> Obviously, without namespaces, we're going to continue to have collisions
> like this, if we don't have a policy for naming such classes.
>
> I mentioned in the email about the conflict with StringTokenizer that we
> have taken to using "Xalan" as a prefix for such classes.  I urge the
> Xerces developer to consider doing something like this as well.  The
> overhead of fixing Xalan to work around this conflict is not insignificant,
> and I'd like to avoid it in the future.  This will also help
> interoperability with other XML application as well.
>
> Dave

 James D. Berry
 mailto:jberry@criticalpath.com
 vox:503.265.1213 fax:503.222.3020