Posted to alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/04/23 15:45:01 UTC

More gump quickies

1) I now have implemented a rudimentary ability for multiple workspaces to
   share a common profile and extend it.  Theres no provision for
   subsetting yet.  Each of my workspaces now reference a profile/gump.xml.
   Expect to see the workspace definitions continue to get smaller as I
   factor out more code and data definitions.

2) Optional dependencies are now truly optional.  The project need not even
   be in the workspace any more.

3) Merge is now implemented in Java code using JAXP/DOM.  In this case I
   found it to be simpler.  The non-merge related code has been moved out
   to defaults.xsl.  The execution of the defaults and sortdep stylesheets
   is now done by the java program instead of the script/batch file.  I'd
   do more this way, but running additional steps seems to slow things down
   considerably.  Still investigating.

4) Repositories are now modeled separately like they are in alexandria, but
   in a more fine grained manner.

Plans:

1) Expect to see more entities move towards more alexandria like naming
   conventions.  Example:

   <url  href="http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/index.html"/>
     =>
   <home-page>http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/index.html</home-page>

2) Continued exploration of extending and subsetting project defintions.

- Sam Ruby