Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/11 22:38:58 UTC

Tashi status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "April2012" by MichaelStroucken)

Hi,

Thanks for the report, Tashi!

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> wrote:
> + In the period from January to April, the project had received permission
> + to publish a release. Shortly thereafter, a further release was
> + approved, incorporating several bug fixes detected during deployment
> + of the first release and from Jira reports.

Great!

> + In the process of making our first release, contact to two of our three
> + mentors was re-established. The third mentor has not been heard from
> + (also in other parts of Apache) for quite a while.

Good to hear that. Could you update the podling status page to drop
the third mentor?

More generally, I guess we at the IPMC should check whether the
mentors of especially long-running podlings are still actively
involved. I'll follow up about that in a separate email.

> + The project has a user community, but it is small. Growth mostly has
> + happened by word of mouth. To show potential users at large the
> + utility of this project, the author of this report will apply some of
> + the advice posted to general@apache.incubator.org, as well as create
> + web pages demonstrating the project's utility, provide sample VM images
> + and disseminate other information relating to the deployments close to him.
> + He will also urge others to make similar information publically available.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the results and your experience
on what worked and what didn't, perhaps in time for your next report
in July. Some of these ideas are quite time-consuming to implement, so
it'll also be useful to know if some where dropped because of
insufficient free cycles.

> + One of our users has requested the creation of a private branch for his
> + team to work on. Perhaps this will result in a valuable feature addition
> + to the project.

+1 if that helps get them more involved. Ultimately though you'll want
to have everyone in the community work together on a shared codebase.

BR,

Jukka Zitting