Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/05 19:44:17 UTC

Apache Rat TLP...?

Rat is (now) one of the oldest podlings, and has an unusually high
proportion of experience Apache contributors. The community and code
are small (perhaps too small) for a top level project (TLP).

Rat tools conceptually run downstream from the build in the continuous
delivery space, assisting comprehension and verification of assembled
source and binary artifacts but. It is natural also to include
bindings for various build systems (to catch problems early) and
generative repair tools within scope. No suitable TLP exists which is
build system and language agnostic.

So Rat is in limbo.

There seems to be quite a number of existing unsatisfied related use
cases eg [1][2] here at Apache. I suspect that with the arrival of
OOo, automation is going to become essential and new tools will need
to be developed in a variety of languages.

In the podling, there is now a rough consensus that graduating to a
new TLP would be the right path. Though the community is currently
small, it could act as a seed for efforts to address these problems
and grow as a home for these tools.

But before we start to draw up more detailed proposals, I'd like to
take some soundings...

Opinions?

Robert

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-rat-dev/201106.mbox/%3CBANLkTikiWPDsipDV9wCG8bGFnW=QWBWHgw@mail.gmail.com%3E
[2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201107.mbox/%3C4E2F098B.7080008@schor.com%3E

Re: Apache Rat TLP...?

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi...

   I hope I am not too late, but as they say 'Never too late' :D

+1 for RAT being a TLP

And I also like the Apache Tools umbrella project, but as said that
can be discussed later.

I would also like to help in graduation process if possible :).

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> wrote:
>> +1 for TLP and I could also help out with coding.
>
> Great :-)
>
> Hope to see you on the lists sometime soon...
>
> Robert

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: Apache Rat TLP...?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Rat TLP...?

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
+1 for TLP and I could also help out with coding.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Re: Apache Rat TLP...?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Rat TLP...?

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
I'm +1 for the TLP case. I was before when we discussed it, and still am.

I'd happily VOTE for RAT to become a TLP. If it needs to change later, then
we can discuss it then.

Cheers,
Chris

On Aug 5, 2011, at 11:15 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Kalle Korhonen
> <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Agree that the scope of Rat alone is limited. You mean if Rat proposed
>> to graduate as Apache Tools (or even Apache Infrastructure Tools)? Rat
>> could start as the TLP and later become a sub project once other tools
>> graduate and join Apache Tools as sub projects. Makes sense to me as
>> there are a lot of other internally developed tools that are not run
>> as projects.
>
> I wonder if there would be any sympathy for combining this with some
> of the code maintained by infrastructure@?
>

>> Kalle
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 10:44 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
>> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Rat is (now) one of the oldest podlings, and has an unusually high
>>> proportion of experience Apache contributors. The community and code
>>> are small (perhaps too small) for a top level project (TLP).
>>>
>>> Rat tools conceptually run downstream from the build in the continuous
>>> delivery space, assisting comprehension and verification of assembled
>>> source and binary artifacts but. It is natural also to include
>>> bindings for various build systems (to catch problems early) and
>>> generative repair tools within scope. No suitable TLP exists which is
>>> build system and language agnostic.
>>>
>>> So Rat is in limbo.
>>>
>>> There seems to be quite a number of existing unsatisfied related use
>>> cases eg [1][2] here at Apache. I suspect that with the arrival of
>>> OOo, automation is going to become essential and new tools will need
>>> to be developed in a variety of languages.
>>>
>>> In the podling, there is now a rough consensus that graduating to a
>>> new TLP would be the right path. Though the community is currently
>>> small, it could act as a seed for efforts to address these problems
>>> and grow as a home for these tools.
>>>
>>> But before we start to draw up more detailed proposals, I'd like to
>>> take some soundings...
>>>
>>> Opinions?
>>>
>>> Robert
>>>
>>> [1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-rat-dev/201106.mbox/%3CBANLkTikiWPDsipDV9wCG8bGFnW=QWBWHgw@mail.gmail.com%3E
>>> [2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201107.mbox/%3C4E2F098B.7080008@schor.com%3E

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: Apache Rat TLP...?

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Rat TLP...?

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Rat TLP...?

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
+1 for TLD

My reason:  > No suitable TLP exists which is build system and
language agnostic.

And I think RAT is an attractive, little project. With time, it will
become very useful to others.

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: Apache Rat TLP...?

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
On Aug 5, 2011, at 10:44 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> Rat is (now) one of the oldest podlings, and has an unusually high
> proportion of experience Apache contributors. The community and code
> are small (perhaps too small) for a top level project (TLP).
>
> Rat tools conceptually run downstream from the build in the continuous
> delivery space, assisting comprehension and verification of assembled
> source and binary artifacts but. It is natural also to include
> bindings for various build systems (to catch problems early) and
> generative repair tools within scope. No suitable TLP exists which is
> build system and language agnostic.
>
> So Rat is in limbo.
>
> There seems to be quite a number of existing unsatisfied related use
> cases eg [1][2] here at Apache. I suspect that with the arrival of
> OOo, automation is going to become essential and new tools will need
> to be developed in a variety of languages.
>
> In the podling, there is now a rough consensus that graduating to a
> new TLP would be the right path. Though the community is currently
> small, it could act as a seed for efforts to address these problems
> and grow as a home for these tools.
>
> But before we start to draw up more detailed proposals, I'd like to
> take some soundings...
>
> Opinions?

+1 for RAT TLP.

Craig

> Robert
>
> [1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-rat-dev/201106.mbox/%3CBANLkTikiWPDsipDV9wCG8bGFnW=QWBWHgw@mail.gmail.com%3E
> [2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201107.mbox/%3C4E2F098B.7080008@schor.com%3E

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Apache Rat TLP...?

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2011-08-05 19:44, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> Rat is (now) one of the oldest podlings, and has an unusually high
> proportion of experience Apache contributors. The community and code
> are small (perhaps too small) for a top level project (TLP).
>
> Rat tools conceptually run downstream from the build in the continuous
> delivery space, assisting comprehension and verification of assembled
> source and binary artifacts but. It is natural also to include
> bindings for various build systems (to catch problems early) and
> generative repair tools within scope. No suitable TLP exists which is
> build system and language agnostic.
>
> So Rat is in limbo.
>
> There seems to be quite a number of existing unsatisfied related use
> cases eg [1][2] here at Apache. I suspect that with the arrival of
> OOo, automation is going to become essential and new tools will need
> to be developed in a variety of languages.
>
> In the podling, there is now a rough consensus that graduating to a
> new TLP would be the right path. Though the community is currently
> small, it could act as a seed for efforts to address these problems
> and grow as a home for these tools.
>
> But before we start to draw up more detailed proposals, I'd like to
> take some soundings...
>
> Opinions?

+1 for RAT as a TLP

> Robert