Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org> on 2005/03/30 18:13:52 UTC

[poll] Seeking eclipse plugin development skills for an opensource Cocoon IDE

Hi folks,

Cocoon is now a mature framework and is more and more used in corporate
environments. And more and more people are asking for some tools.
Several people also experienced lost projects because Cocoon doesn't
have a minimal opensource tooling.

Building an opensource IDE for Cocoon not only requires some Cocoon
knowledge, but also some Eclipse plugin development skills.

That's why I'm sending this poll to the whole user and developper community:
- do you or your company have Eclipse plugin development skills?
- if some opensource project is setup to develop a Cocoon IDE, would you
like to join and invest time and effort?

Thanks for your answers,
Sylvain

Re: [poll] Seeking eclipse plugin development skills for an opensource Cocoon IDE

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Sitemap editor, form editor, code completion in XSP/JXTemplate, sitemap
> debugger, etc. I'd like to know if some people with the appropriate
> skills would like to join an create a community to develop an opensource
> IDE for our beloved Cocoon.

IMO a forms editor would be huge and be great for productivity.

Tony

Re: [poll] Seeking eclipse plugin development skills for an opensource Cocoon IDE

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Ralph Goers wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Cocoon is now a mature framework and is more and more used in
>> corporate environments. And more and more people are asking for some
>> tools. Several people also experienced lost projects because Cocoon
>> doesn't have a minimal opensource tooling.
>>
>> Building an opensource IDE for Cocoon not only requires some Cocoon
>> knowledge, but also some Eclipse plugin development skills.
>>
>> That's why I'm sending this poll to the whole user and developper
>> community:
>> - do you or your company have Eclipse plugin development skills?
>> - if some opensource project is setup to develop a Cocoon IDE, would
>> you like to join and invest time and effort?
>>
>> Thanks for your answers,
>> Sylvain
>>
> 1. What exactly would the IDE for Cocoon do?

Sitemap editor, form editor, code completion in XSP/JXTemplate, sitemap
debugger, etc. I'd like to know if some people with the appropriate
skills would like to join an create a community to develop an opensource
IDE for our beloved Cocoon.

> 2. I'd desire a plugin for IntelliJ.

Sorry, I know that IntelliJ is great, but if a community-developped
opensource IDE exists for Cocoon, it will be on top of an opensource
IDE. And Eclipse and its upcoming web tools platform is the dominant
player in this area.

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Cocoon is now a mature framework and is more and more used in
> corporate environments. And more and more people are asking for some
> tools. Several people also experienced lost projects because Cocoon
> doesn't have a minimal opensource tooling.
>
> Building an opensource IDE for Cocoon not only requires some Cocoon
> knowledge, but also some Eclipse plugin development skills.
>
> That's why I'm sending this poll to the whole user and developper
> community:
> - do you or your company have Eclipse plugin development skills?
> - if some opensource project is setup to develop a Cocoon IDE, would
> you like to join and invest time and effort?
>
> Thanks for your answers,
> Sylvain

1. What exactly would the IDE for Cocoon do?
2. I'd desire a plugin for IntelliJ.

Ralph

Re: [poll] Seeking eclipse plugin development skills for an opensource Cocoon IDE

Posted by Marco Rolappe <m_...@web.de>.

Sylvain Wallez schrieb:
> Marco Rolappe wrote:
>
>> Sylvain Wallez schrieb:
>>
>>> That's why I'm sending this poll to the whole user and developper
>>> community:
>>> - do you or your company have Eclipse plugin development skills?
>>
>> minimal. but it would be a good opportunity to enhance them ;-)
>
> Sure, but starting an Eclipse IDE with only newbies isn't the easiest
> route :-)

probably not ;-) but AFAIR the concepts behind the plugin architecture
are not that hard to grasp. I fiddled around with several plugins and
also dug a little into sunbow and there have been no big problems along
the way.

anyway, if there's going to be a sandbox I'll come there and play ;-)

> Anyway all contributions would of course be very welcome!
>
>>> - if some opensource project is setup to develop a Cocoon IDE, would
>>> you like to join and invest time and effort?
>>
>> sure. I'm also thinking of tools not dependent on an IDE but usable
>> from within Cocoon (via web frontend).
>
> A good Cocoon IDE must have a runtime part to allow things like
> debugging, monitoring or profiling. This runtime part can be designed so
> that some features can be equally used with a GUI front-end in the IDE
> and a web front-end. This is something that must be considered right
> from the start.

a list for collecting ideas/use cases would be useful. maybe such a
thing already lives somewhere in wiki land?

influenced by some mail archive posts, the first thing coming to my mind
besides those you mentioned is a visual build (configuration) tool.

leEgg.breed();

Re: [poll] Seeking eclipse plugin development skills for an opensource Cocoon IDE

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marco Rolappe <m_...@web.de>.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> That's why I'm sending this poll to the whole user and developper
>> community:
>> - do you or your company have Eclipse plugin development skills?
>> - if some opensource project is setup to develop a Cocoon IDE, would
>> you like to join and invest time and effort?
>

> You can count me in. I already have a project based on Eclipse and
> Forrest, see http://www.burrokeet.org
>
> I have experience of (here come the accronyms) EMF, WTP, RCP and the
> plugin infrastructure generally.
>
> I'm particularly interesting in contributing in ways that will help my
> Burrokeet project and/or Forrest. Since both are Cocoon based I
> suspect I'll find plenty of ways to help.

Just the kind of skills and motivation I'm looking for ;-)

And very interesting projects!

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> That's why I'm sending this poll to the whole user and developper
> community:
> - do you or your company have Eclipse plugin development skills?
> - if some opensource project is setup to develop a Cocoon IDE, would you
> like to join and invest time and effort?

You can count me in. I already have a project based on Eclipse and
Forrest, see http://www.burrokeet.org

I have experience of (here come the accronyms) EMF, WTP, RCP and the
plugin infrastructure generally.

I'm particularly interesting in contributing in ways that will help my
Burrokeet project and/or Forrest. Since both are Cocoon based I suspect
I'll find plenty of ways to help.

Ross

Re: [poll] Seeking eclipse plugin development skills for an opensource Cocoon IDE

Posted by Peter Velychko <ve...@ukr.net>.
Hi Sylvain,

I have some experience with developing Eclipse applications. My
current commercial project is developing administrative application
based on Eclipse RCP

May be my proposition is some belated but I should be very glad to
devote my time and efforts to cocoon community.

Many thanks.

You wrote March 30, 2005, 19:13:52:

> Hi folks,

> Cocoon is now a mature framework and is more and more used in corporate
> environments. And more and more people are asking for some tools.
> Several people also experienced lost projects because Cocoon doesn't
> have a minimal opensource tooling.

> Building an opensource IDE for Cocoon not only requires some Cocoon
> knowledge, but also some Eclipse plugin development skills.

> That's why I'm sending this poll to the whole user and developper community:
> - do you or your company have Eclipse plugin development skills?
> - if some opensource project is setup to develop a Cocoon IDE, would you
> like to join and invest time and effort?

> Thanks for your answers,
> Sylvain

Peter Velychko
vepeter@ukr.net

Re: [poll] Seeking eclipse plugin development skills for an opensource Cocoon IDE

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Nouguier Olivier wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 18:13 +0200, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>Hi folks,
>>
>>Cocoon is now a mature framework and is more and more used in corporate
>>environments. And more and more people are asking for some tools.
>>Several people also experienced lost projects because Cocoon doesn't
>>have a minimal opensource tooling.
>>
>>Building an opensource IDE for Cocoon not only requires some Cocoon
>>knowledge, but also some Eclipse plugin development skills.
>>

>sure
>

>>That's why I'm sending this poll to the whole user and developper community:
>>- do you or your company have Eclipse plugin development skills?
>>- if some opensource project is setup to develop a Cocoon IDE, would you
>>like to join and invest time and effort?
>>

>I'd like to...
>
>I've started a little plugin for cocoon, all I have implemented is a
>content outline and some a simple completion in the PDE shipped xml
>plugin. I have many ideas and some question on cocoon internal to allow
>a visual debuging of sitemap.

Cool. I hope you'll join the party whenever something gets started!

Posted by Nouguier Olivier <ol...@wanadoo.fr>.

http://www.orcades.net

Re: [poll] Seeking eclipse plugin development skills for an opensource Cocoon IDE

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Sandor Spruit wrote:

> Sylvain,
>
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>>  Hi folks,
>>
>>  Cocoon is now a mature framework and is more and more used in
>>  corporate environments. And more and more people are asking for some
>>  tools. Several people also experienced lost projects because Cocoon
>>  doesn't have a minimal opensource tooling.
>>
>>  Building an opensource IDE for Cocoon not only requires some Cocoon
>>  knowledge, but also some Eclipse plugin development skills.
>>
>>  That's why I'm sending this poll to the whole user and developper
>>  community:
>
> > - do you or your company have Eclipse plugin development skills?
> > - if some opensource project is setup to develop a Cocoon
>
>>  IDE, would you like to join and invest time and effort?
>

> Hmm. I certainly support the idea, I'd like to join, but it depends on
> time constraints.
> I'm planning on introducing Cocoon, Exist and Eclipse in a
> 'Contentlab' I'm setting
> up for our university curriculum. I would love to have some Cocoon
> plugins, since
> I now have to prepare a workable environment and a Cocoon tutorial
> myself.
>
> Could you use a reasonably skilled group of student users to test
> ideas and provide
> feedback - or do you already have matured ideas on what the tools
> should do? UI?
> (http://www.informationscience.nl, no comments on the quality of its
> layout please).
> Depending on the focus, there are groups ranging from 10
> students/course upto 50.

Well, actually I have more than matured ideas and plan to provide an
initial code base *if* I have the feeling me and my company won't be
alone in this adventure. I'd like Cocoon to have an opensource tooling,
but want it to be community-developed both for social and economical
reasons.

> Some part of the IDE could make a nice student project, but I do not
> think all folks
> would have the required Java development skills to pick it up quickly.
> Maybe our
> computer science students (different programme) could provide these
> skills. Let me
> know what you think, maybe I can work something out here.

Interesting idea, and yes, Java skills seem to me a basic requirement.
Developing new features can certainly be an interesting and motivating
student project. However, even if this brings manpower to the project,
we also need people with more long-term involvment.

Posted by Sandor Spruit <sa...@cs.uu.nl>.
Sylvain,

Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>  Hi folks,
>
>  Cocoon is now a mature framework and is more and more used in
>  corporate environments. And more and more people are asking for some
>  tools. Several people also experienced lost projects because Cocoon
>  doesn't have a minimal opensource tooling.
>
>  Building an opensource IDE for Cocoon not only requires some Cocoon
>  knowledge, but also some Eclipse plugin development skills.
>
>  That's why I'm sending this poll to the whole user and developper
>  community:
 > - do you or your company have Eclipse plugin development skills?
 > - if some opensource project is setup to develop a Cocoon
>  IDE, would you like to join and invest time and effort?

Hmm. I certainly support the idea, I'd like to join, but it depends on
time constraints.
I'm planning on introducing Cocoon, Exist and Eclipse in a 'Contentlab'
I'm setting
up for our university curriculum. I would love to have some Cocoon
plugins, since
I now have to prepare a workable environment and a Cocoon tutorial myself.

Could you use a reasonably skilled group of student users to test ideas
and provide
feedback - or do you already have matured ideas on what the tools should
do? UI?
(http://www.informationscience.nl, no comments on the quality of its
layout please).
Depending on the focus, there are groups ranging from 10 students/course
upto 50.

Some part of the IDE could make a nice student project, but I do not
think all folks
would have the required Java development skills to pick it up quickly.
Maybe our
computer science students (different programme) could provide these
skills. Let me
know what you think, maybe I can work something out here.

Sandor

Re: [poll] Seeking eclipse plugin development skills for an opensource Cocoon IDE

Posted by Andrei Lunjov <an...@alpitek.com>.
sorry - experienced NOT so much in cocoon internals

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Andrei Lunjov wrote:

> I'd participate, but I have almost no experience in development for
> eclipse and experienced much in cocoon internals.
>
> my comments from user perspective - what i'd expect:
> - sitemap debugger & pipeline tracer & possibly something like
> breakpoints
> - xslt debugger or integration with - currently i use oxygen - seems
> to be best.
> - but i'd look at eclipse wtp project

User inputs are key to build usable tools. Thanks for them. And don't
worry, WTP is considered more than seriously, as it provides a lot of
basic (and not so basic) blocks to build some Cocoon-related tools.

Posted by Andrei Lunjov <an...@alpitek.com>.

Posted by Geoff Howard <ge...@gmail.com>.
I'm interested and have some eclipse plugin experience (not expert,
but not newbie).  Unfortunately, as you can tell I've been unable to
help much recently.  If you start it I'll certainly at least lurk on
the list and as possible, really jump in.

Geoff

Posted by Daniel McOrmond <dm...@gmail.com>.
Laurent,

Sylvain IS Anyware Technologies.. ;)

-Daniel

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
gounis@osmosis.gr wrote:

>hi Sylvain
>
>i dont know the level of eclipse skills are you looking for
>but last months i'm working on an Eclipse RCP application
>
>https://schoolclipse.dev.java.net/

Oh, looks very cool!

>and i will be happy to contribute something to cocoon's community

Well, this will be very welcome :-)

Posted by go...@osmosis.gr.