Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2010/12/24 19:34:40 UTC

Tomcat 7 & regex

There are a number of configuration properties defined as "comma
separated regular expressions". As someone pointed out at at ApacheCon
that is a little odd. It stops "," being used in an expression and is
inefficient.

Having just been bitten by this while setting up the new Jira instance,
I intend change all properties that take regex in Tomcat 7 to use a
single regex. This will simplify the code, simplify configuration and
make the regex processing faster.

I probably won't get around to actually doing this until the new year.

Mark

Re: Tomcat 7 & regex

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
May I suggest you emit a warning to the logs when comma is used in the
regexp for a few versions?

Hen

Re: Tomcat 7 & regex

Posted by Daniel Baktiar <db...@gmail.com>.
+1

i like the approach toward standard regex.
ones that use it most likely will be sysadmins, so they should at least know
how to use regex in their tools like shell, awk, perl, python or powershell.
it will be nice if the standard regex is in place.
---
daniel baktiar
http://savinggaia.tritiumapps.com - saving the planet is everyone's
business!

Re: Tomcat 7 & regex

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 25/12/2010 13:37, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 1) It it were configurable,  in certain places it makes sense to use
> space as a separator (e.g. in IP addresses).
> -> any whitespace? -> \w+ and we end up with using a regex to split a
> list of regexes.

Yes, space could work but I'd rather stick to what folks expect of
standard regex. | achieves the same result but is standard regex.

> 2) It might make sense to require regex expressions to be surrounded by '/'.
> E.g. "/192\.168\.1\.\d{1,3}/" is a regex, but "192.168.1.17" is a literal value.

I'd rather Tomcat 7 moved towards an existing standard rather than tried
to create a new one.

> 3) I wonder if it makes sense to manipulate RequestFilterValve though
> JMX. E.g. to add/remove some filtering patterns at runtime.

It is certainly something I can see would be useful - e.g. reacting to
an attacker. Making that dynamic should be do-able with care.

> Mark, are there other places than RequestFilterValve and its
> subclasses (RemoteAddrValve, RemoteHostValve) where you are planning
> this change?

It was actually RemoteIpValve that got me started on this. You can't
explicitly set the default since it uses ',' in the regex but we also
split using ','. I wanted to fix that and moving to a single regex fixes
that and removes any chance of any similar gotchas in the future.

> There this feature can be configurable. E.g. if split='' then
> splitting is not performed at all. I do not see why we should force
> users to use a single regex only.

All it really does is force users to use the standard regex of '|' where
they currently use ','.

> Having a single regex by default is OK with me, but forcing a single
> regex saves too little in performance of
> RequestFilterValve.process(..) (removes iterating over an array but
> adds a null check).

I don't have any hard numbers but I suspect matching a single regex
using '|' is going to be faster than matching multiple. Probably not by
much. The code simplification is pretty minor too.

> [OT] Merry X'mas
+1 to all.

Mark

Re: Tomcat 7 & regex

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
[...]

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Tomcat 7 & regex

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Tim,

On 12/25/2010 3:34 PM, Tim Funk wrote:
> I am thinking from an admin point of view. While you can combine OR
> conditionals in regex's - when you get something more complicated - you
> may encounter a nasty nesting of () to get all the nested OR's correct.

One can always use more, simpler | expressions rather than using a ton
of () expressions to get the shortest regular expression.

-chris

Re: Tomcat 7 & regex

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@apache.org>.
I am thinking from an admin point of view. While you can combine OR
conditionals in regex's - when you get something more complicated - you
may encounter a nasty nesting of () to get all the nested OR's correct.
So while one COULD to it in a single regex - most mere mortals might not
be able to comprehend that regex. This is where combining different
regexes by a user defined split may come in handy.

But in reality ... the general case a user is doing is probably a
singular regex. So since the capability exists for more exotic matches,
it may be easier to simplify the code per your (mark's) suggestion and
then provide enough coaching to demonstrate how more advanced regexes
can be applied.

(So I am cool with it. Time permitting - I'll try to provide an example
or 2 for odd regexes - like RFC1918 matching for the RemoteAddrressFilter)

-Tim

Re: Tomcat 7 & regex

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 25.12.2010 20:53, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 25/12/2010 01:49, Tim Funk wrote:
>> +0.5 - I wonder if in some cases - it may be preferable to use a
>> property called split which lets the user define the separator which we
>> can pass to String.split(). [Which OTOH may be more confusing (yet
>> powerful) since the user is using a regex to split get a list of regex]
>
> I think that just makes it more complicated. There is no need to split
> anything up since the regex can just use |. Rather than mix regex plus
> our own proprietary splitting mechanism, I think we should just use the
> support already provided by regex to do the same thing.

+1

Maybe reminding users about "|" with a *simple* example helps.

Concerning IP addresses and regexp: The escaping of the contained dots
is not really necessary, as long as one is matching the whole address
from the beginning to the end because the dots in the real address can
only match the (escaped or not) dots in the pattern.

What might be helpful is a general way of expressing networks (network
address plus netmask or bits). For httpd 2.4 there will be a general
expression parser which contains an operator called "-ipmatch" so
network addresses can be used not only in Allow/Deny (now: Require) but
also everywhere else.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: Tomcat 7 & regex

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Tomcat 7 & regex

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@apache.org>.

Re: Tomcat 7 & regex

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
> So the plan would be to have users convert values like this:
>
> 127\.0\.0\.1, 10\.10\.10\.1, 192\.168\.1\.[0-9]+
>
> to this:
>
> (127\.0\.0\.1|10\.10\.10\.1|192\.168\.1\.[0-9]+)

which is equivalent to

127\.0\.0\.1|10\.10\.10\.1|192\.168\.1\.[0-9]+

if we do not want to reference the resulting matches.

One way to get rid of the dot escaping would be

^(127.0.0.1|10.10.10.1|192.168.1.[0-9]+)$

because the verbatim dots in the IP addresses can only match the any
char dot in that expression.

> 3. Please make it clear, on a per-attribute basis if appropriate,
> whether the pattern will implicitly use start-of-input and end-of-input
> markers on the ends. I've been bitten several times by the operational
> differences between using Matcher.matches (which is implicitly "^...$")
> and Matcher.find/Matcher.replaceAll. Presumable, we'll be using
> Matcher.matches and therefore ^...$ is not necessary in any values being
> provided by the user: please just state that explicitly.

+1

> 4. Please ensure that the documentation clearly reminds readers (in each
> attribute, rather than requiring the reader to go to a unified short
> blurb about regular expressions) that a "." is "anything" and not just a
> dot. Lots of (otherwise) smart people often write regular expressions
> for IP addresses like this: 10.10.1.1.

... which can be OK, see above.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: Tomcat 7 & regex

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 12/24/2010 1:34 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> There are a number of configuration properties defined as "comma
> separated regular expressions". As someone pointed out at at ApacheCon
> that is a little odd. It stops "," being used in an expression and is
> inefficient.

A comma can still be used in a regular expression as long as the rules
about how we split the whole value are well-defined (like commas can be
escaped for in-regexp use).

> Having just been bitten by this while setting up the new Jira instance,
> I intend change all properties that take regex in Tomcat 7 to use a
> single regex. This will simplify the code, simplify configuration and
> make the regex processing faster.

So the plan would be to have users convert values like this:

127\.0\.0\.1, 10\.10\.10\.1, 192\.168\.1\.[0-9]+

to this:

(127\.0\.0\.1|10\.10\.10\.1|192\.168\.1\.[0-9]+)

I have some recommendations:

1. If it's not okay to break the "configuration interface", you should
change the name(s) of the attribute(s) so that old configurations are
easier to adapt to new environments. Something like "allowedIPs" might
become "allowedIPPattern". I'm not sure if incompatibility is something
we're concerned about, though there have been a number of pre-releases
on the 7.0 branch and this sounds like quite a breaking change.

2. Make it clear /which/ regular expressions will be supported. I hate
it when an API says "use a regular expression" and then they don't tell
you they're using Jakarta-ORO which doesn't (conveniently) support
Unicode and you have to spend a long time figuring out why your patterns
aren't working. Presumably, we'll be using the JDK's regular expression
classes: please just state that explicitly.

3. Please make it clear, on a per-attribute basis if appropriate,
whether the pattern will implicitly use start-of-input and end-of-input
markers on the ends. I've been bitten several times by the operational
differences between using Matcher.matches (which is implicitly "^...$")
and Matcher.find/Matcher.replaceAll. Presumable, we'll be using
Matcher.matches and therefore ^...$ is not necessary in any values being
provided by the user: please just state that explicitly.

4. Please ensure that the documentation clearly reminds readers (in each
attribute, rather than requiring the reader to go to a unified short
blurb about regular expressions) that a "." is "anything" and not just a
dot. Lots of (otherwise) smart people often write regular expressions
for IP addresses like this: 10.10.1.1.

Thanks!
-chris