Posted to user@bigtop.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2012/06/21 02:02:41 UTC

Looking for a Hadoop 1.X distro maintainer in Bigtop

Hi!

While preparing for a Bigtop 0.4.0 release it has dawned on
me that managing releases is hard work ;-) Which lead to
my next observation that regardless of how much I wish for
the Hadoop 1.X based Bigtop distro -- it ain't going to happen
unless somebody is willing to help us out. Personally I simply
can't work on two major line of development like that.

Hence this plea -- if there's a brave soul who would like to
donate his or her time and help all of the Hadoop users out there
have an access to a kick ass proven distro based on Hadoop
1.X would that person please contact us at bigtop-dev@ ?

Thanks and sorry for the wide distribution,
Roman.

Re: Looking for a Hadoop 1.X distro maintainer in Bigtop

Posted by giridharan kesavan <gk...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Roman,

Im interested and willing to work on bigtop distro based on hadoop-1.x
releases.

thanks,
Giri

--
-Giri

Re: Looking for a Hadoop 1.X distro maintainer in Bigtop

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
On 06/21/2012 01:59 PM, Patrick Hunt wrote:
> FYI, only BT committers can be BT release managers:
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#glossary-release-manager
>
> Patrick

If there are people volunteering to do all the actual work of picking
patches and backporting them and maintaining the branch-0.3 alive, I can
volunteer to take care of the mechanics of going through a release.

Re: Looking for a Hadoop 1.X distro maintainer in Bigtop

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> thanks for pointing out this clause in the bylaws. Having an attentive mentors
> makes one's life so much easier!
>
> Roman,
>
> I will pick up the hat of 1.x Hadoop release line RM and maintainer for
> BigTop. Looks like I am qualified ;)
>
> Let's see how glorious the next release of 0.3 we can produce!

Perfect! It sounds like between Cos and Bruno we have all the coverage
we need to satisfy the formal definition of a release manager.

It also looks like it would provide the perfect opportunity for Giri
and Jun Ping
to get more directly involved with Bigtop's development and have a good
reason to send us lots of good patches for the 0.3 branch!

I'm looking forward to the 0.3.1 release planning on this list! As I
said, I probably
won't contribute much directly in terms of patches, etc, but I'm always game
as far as reviews or testing goes!

Thanks,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Patrick,

thanks for pointing out this clause in the bylaws. Having an attentive mentors
makes one's life so much easier!

Roman,

I will pick up the hat of 1.x Hadoop release line RM and maintainer for
BigTop. Looks like I am qualified ;)

Let's see how glorious the next release of 0.3 we can produce!

Cos

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Patrick,

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
On 06/21/2012 09:13 PM, Jun Ping Du wrote:
> Hello Bruno,
>       Thanks for your reply and forwarding material. Looks like it is a challengeable role and lots of good thing to learn but I would like to be the part of this role to help release manager in backport interesting patches.
>       I have some experience (not much) in back porting patches from Hadoop-2.X to Hadoop-1.X, but haven't gotten familiar with BigTop so I think back porting some simple patches as a ramp up is necessary. Would you (or other BigTop contributor) help to nominate some jira issues or patches for me to start with? Also, I didn't find dev process on BigTop wiki which should be convenient for a new contributor to start with.
>       BTW, I am currently working at +8 timezone but try to contribute my effort after official work, so in general there are several hours time overlap for each day (I suppose most of you are working in Bay area). Do you think it is a big issue?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Junping

Hi Jun,

First of all, do not worry about timezones. I do not see how it could be
an issue. The mailing-list is our main way of coordinating the work, so
we are all on the same boat.

Note also that I forgot to mention another point in my previous email:
As part as maintaining the branch-0.3, components can be updated to
their latest versions (ex: latest Apache Hadoop 1.X, latest Apache
HBase...) or you can ensure that compatibility is maintained with the
latest GNU/Linux distributions.
So people interested in that work will have the opportunity to test all
these points, report issues upstream (possibly along with some patches)
and make sure these issues will be fixed in upcoming releases so they
can be included in Apache Bigtop (incubating) 3.X releases.

Some easy patches (I looked at the resolved tickets for 0.4.0 and not
being marked as fixed for 0.3.0, see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP/fixforversion/12318889#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aversion-issues-panel
):
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-609
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-586 (provided that issue
is also applicable to the branch-0.3)
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-587 (provided that issue
is also applicable to the branch-0.3)
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-633 and its sister
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-561
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-567
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-557
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-552 (puppet)

Regarding the dev process, just open a ticket on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP , attach your patch, wait
for a review/feedback and once consensus is reached, a committer will
integrate it.
The following pages may also help you to get familiar with Apache Bigtop
(incubating):
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/Frequently+Asked+Questions+%28FAQ%29
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/Building+Bigtop+on+Ubuntu

In order to make it easier for people willing to maintain the
branch-0.3, I repurposed all the jenkins jobs we had for the hadoop-0.23
branch.
Therefore, anyone can now:
* See the status of the builds for the branch-0.3 there
http://bigtop01.cloudera.org:8080/view/Bigtop-0.3/
* Get built packages fresh out of the branch for testing:
http://bigtop01.cloudera.org:8080/view/Bigtop-0.3/job/Bigtop-0.3-Repository/
* See some tests results:
http://bigtop01.cloudera.org:8080/view/Bigtop-0.3/job/Bigtop-0.3-packagetest/

In any case, feel free to send emails or to hop on irc (#bigtop on
freenode) if you have any question, issue or note.

Thanks,
Bruno

Re: Looking for a Hadoop 1.X distro maintainer in Bigtop

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jun Ping Du <jd...@vmware.com>.
Hi Roman,