Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2003/03/04 17:50:36 UTC

Removal of Excalibur Util causing problems

Component (AKA ECM) uses Excalibur Util's ComponentStateValidator
for the test case.  Excalibur Util also has some other useful pieces.
The question is, do we want to take the time and effort to get Excalibur
Util up to snuff for a release *now*, or cut our losses and let it
go.

Consequences:

+ We don't have another utility package we have to migrate elsewhere.
+ We can merge the utilities in with the packages that use them if they
   are needed.
+ We can put ComponentStateValidator and its testcase inside TestCase
   along with the FullLifeCycleComponent test component to ensure the
   integrity of the containers.
- We have alot of work to do to make the changes.
+ Some of the functionality (i.e. Delegator) is taken up by other
   libraries like CGLib.

I think it would be better if we make some of these changes soon,
and kill off the Excalibur (now Sandbox) Util project before it
is even released.

We need to perform a check on all the classes to see if they are
used anywhere.  If not, we can get rid of them immediately.\

Thoughts?

Re: Removal of Excalibur Util causing problems

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 03:50, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Component (AKA ECM) uses Excalibur Util's ComponentStateValidator
> for the test case.  Excalibur Util also has some other useful pieces.
> The question is, do we want to take the time and effort to get Excalibur
> Util up to snuff for a release *now*, or cut our losses and let it
> go.

kill it off.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Removal of Excalibur Util causing problems

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Component (AKA ECM) uses Excalibur Util's ComponentStateValidator
> for the test case.

I use it in container testing too :D

>  Excalibur Util also has some other useful pieces.
> The question is, do we want to take the time and effort to get Excalibur
> Util up to snuff for a release *now*, or cut our losses and let it
> go.

let it go.

> Thoughts?

look at cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/xref.html (I know GUMP urls by
head now ;), and you'll find very little code that ends up in project
jars uses util. We have no graphing for src/test/ code though, so use
your  IDE "safe delete" feature, and find that it is not used a lot at
all :D

cheers,

- Leo