Posted to user@hive.apache.org by "Christopher, Pat" <pa...@hp.com> on 2011/01/27 02:47:03 UTC

Hive Error on medium sized dataset

Hi,
I'm attempting to load a small to medium sized log file, ~250MB, and produce some basic reports from it, counts etc.  Nothing fancy.  However, whenever I try and read the entire dataset, ~330k rows, I get the following error:

  FAILED: Execution Error, return code 2 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.MapRedTask

This result gets produced with basic queries like:

  SELECT count(1) FROM medium_table;

However, if do the following:

  SELECT count(1) FROM ( SELECT col1 FROM medium_table LIMIT 70000 ) tbl;

It works okay until I get to around 70,800ish then I get the first error message again.  I'm running my HDFS system in single node, pseudo distributed mode with 1.5GB of memory and 20 GB of disk as a virtual machine.  And I am using a custom SerDe.  I don't think it's the SerDe but I'm open to suggestions for how I can check if it is causing the problem.  I can't see anything in the data that would be causing it though.

Anyone have any ideas of what might be causing this or something I can check?

Thanks,
Pat

Re: Hive Error on medium sized dataset

Posted by hadoop n00b <ne...@gmail.com>.
Return code 2 essentially means a hadoop error. Congrats on locating and
fixing your issue.

However, can somebody still throw some light on this particular error code?

Posted by "Christopher, Pat" <pa...@hp.com>.

Posted by hadoop n00b <ne...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ajo Fod <aj...@gmail.com>.