Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by hunter <th...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/10 05:19:01 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Passenv Problem

On 10/9/05, lise@bighost.com.br <li...@bighost.com.br> wrote:

> I am using Apache 2.0.54 under Windows XP. My httpd.conf contains the
> directive:
>
> PassEnv LOCOINREP
>
> When I start Apache with the command:
>
> Apache.exe
>
> everything works properly.
>
> BUT, when I start Apache with the command:
>
> Apache.exe -k start
>
> I receive the following warning message in the error log:
>
> [Sat Oct 08 20:13:58 2005] [warn] PassEnv variable LOCOINREP was undefined
>
> Why the second command doesn't work properly?
> Is it a bug in the Apache HTTP Server?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Lise Banon

Lise,

I would guess that you set the environment variable in the console, or
you set it as the logged on user. Services get a copy of the
environment as it existed at the time the system started. In order for
a service to get a change in the environment, one that has been set in
the System Properties GUI or directly in the registry the machine must
be rebooted.

When you run apache from a console (not -k start) it inherits a copy
of the environment from the console. If you run it with -k start you
are starting it as a service, the same as 'net start apache2' (in the
case of Apache 2.0.xx).

If you only set the environment variable in the console with the set
command then you can only start apache (without -k) from that console.

I hope this helps...

Chris Lewis