Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by "Scheucher, Gerhard" <ge...@fraunhofer.at> on 2023/04/01 08:49:09 UTC

RE: Deine Frage via LinkedIn

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if German is appropriate or if English is better. So feel free to reply in either German or English.

First, thanks for the advice from Chris to write directly to dev@plc4x.apache.org<ma...@plc4x.apache.org>.

Second, the idea of your product is absolutely great! While writing drivers for PN, Profibus, EtherCAT, etc., in Python I came across PLC4X by chance and just thought 'wow! Just what I need.

However, I have extreme problems with the installation and I can hardly imagine that it can be so difficult normally.

- First of all, it couldn't find the snapshot file... I was then able to build it using Chris's tip at https://github.com/apache/plc4x-build-tools.git... but only then when I changed the pom.xml a little bit because otherwise the build always skipped because of missing dependencies...
- the mvnw.cmd install and the like does not work for me under windows... it does not give an error... it simply does nothing... with mvn clean install with all possible modifications it compiles but it does not output a SUCCESS... Btw with build-tools the mvnw.cmd-command at least works, even if it gives an error. In the PLC4X directory it can be executed, does not give an error, but does nothing.
- it doesn't build in the actual folder "C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\APACHE\plc4x" or even in "C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\APACHE\plc4x\sandbox" -> because actually the most important thing for us is to use it as python application...

I have now really spent hours on a settings.xml-file, changing the pom.xml in all conceivable versions and tried everything I found in your git-repo,.... But I really only had success with build-tools. Which brings me to the question of what I'm doing wrong.

I have installed everything mvn, java, groovy. I can echo everything and still the compilation doesn't work as it should.

Pls give some advices!

Thanks in advance for your help!

KR,
Gerhard

___
Gerhard Scheucher
BSc

Hilfswissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter
Geschäftsbereich Fabrikplanung und Produktionsmanagement

Fraunhofer Austria Research GmbH
Theresianumgasse 7 | 1040 Wien

gerhard.scheucher@fraunhofer.at | www.fraunhofer.at<http://www.fraunhofer.at>

FN: 320215f, HG Wien

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Another try as this one only went out to Gerhard ...

Hi Gerhard,

First off all: Welcome to the most awesome community Apache has ;-)

You might be interested in the fact that a group here is already working on PLC4Py ... so if you want to join in, I bet they would be more than happy for some more hands and mind to help :-)

Now to your problem: it’s really strange that you are having such problems. But sometimes artifacts could get removed from Maven Central.
But I’m not expecting this to be the case, as this usually happens when you have severe security problems and we tend to keep everything updated (Well actually Sebastian is doing that).

What OS are you working on? Mac, Linux, Windows?

Chris

Von: Scheucher, Gerhard <ge...@fraunhofer.at>
Datum: Samstag, 1. April 2023 um 10:49
An: dev@plc4x.apache.org <de...@plc4x.apache.org>
Cc: Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>, Dummer, Wolfgang <wo...@fraunhofer.at>, Gaal, Alexander <al...@fraunhofer.at>
Betreff: RE: Deine Frage via LinkedIn

[FABRIK2022_1540x480.png]<https://www.fraunhofer.at/de/presse/news/start-fuer-fabrik-des-jahres-2023.html>

AW: Deine Frage via LinkedIn

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Gerhard,

from the error you are getting from the maven wrapper it seems, that you don’t have “powershell” available, which is a bit odd, as I thought this was always available.

And regarding your other email ... where did you have to add that dependency?

If you wanted to give python a try, you would need to add the “with-python” profile to the build.

Chris

Von: Scheucher, Gerhard <ge...@fraunhofer.at>
Datum: Samstag, 1. April 2023 um 13:10
An: Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>, Dummer, Wolfgang <wo...@fraunhofer.at>
Cc: Gaal, Alexander <al...@fraunhofer.at>, dev@plc4x.apache.org <de...@plc4x.apache.org>
Hi Chris,

Installed are:

  *   apache-maven-3.9.1
  *   groovy-4.0.11
  *   jdk-20

just cleaned everything and cloned the repo a new. First, that happened:

[cid:image003.png@01D96499.200D59A0]

At least due to any reason the mvnw.cmd install gave an output.

Cleaned the whole .m2:

[cid:image001.png@01D96499.6FB6B8C0]

AND NOW with “mvn -N io.takari:maven:wrapper”

[cid:image002.png@01D9649A.B45C9D90]

[cid:image006.png@01D9649A.B45C9D90]

Worked for sandbox and normal directory 😃

I’m really not quite sure what happened but VSCode can already import the module and now the games can begin 😃

[cid:image007.png@01D9649B.033A6F50]

KR,
Gerhard

___

[cid:image004.png@01D96499.200D59A0]

[FABRIK2022_1540x480.png]<https://www.fraunhofer.at/de/presse/news/start-fuer-fabrik-des-jahres-2023.html>

Von: Scheucher, Gerhard <ge...@fraunhofer.at>>
Datum: Samstag, 1. April 2023 um 11:32
An: Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>>, Dummer, Wolfgang <wo...@fraunhofer.at>>
Cc: Gaal, Alexander <al...@fraunhofer.at>>, dev@plc4x.apache.org<ma...@plc4x.apache.org> <de...@plc4x.apache.org>>
Hi Chris,

Hahaha, that makes me very happy!

I immediately copied my colleagues. So that they are informed straight away. Wolfgang and I tried a lot of work possibilities on Thursday. I also copied dev@plc4x.apache.org<ma...@plc4x.apache.org> because I wrote my question there. If everyone speaks German, that suits me fine. Just sayin’.

@Dummer, Wolfgang<ma...@fraunhofer.at>: Have you read this? "You might be interested in the fact that a group here is already working on PLC4Py". Then we are already on the right track :-D

I’m using Windwows. I also had to change some things because it didn't find some versions<netty.version>4.1.70.Final</netty.version> because it didn't recognise 4.1.90.Final,...e.g.

Or here the pom.xml at build-tools. Without these changes it did not work for me:

  <groupId>org.apache.plc4x.plugins</groupId>
  <artifactId>plc4x-build-tools</artifactId>
  <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <packaging>pom</packaging>

  <name>PLC4X Build-Tools</name>
  <description>This is just a pom to ease importing the repo into a Maven supporting IDE</description>

  <repositories>
    <repository>
      <id>apache-snapshots</id>
      <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots</url<https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots%3c/url>>
    </repository>
    <repository>
      <id>github-releases</id>
      <url>https://repo1.maven.org/maven2</url<https://repo1.maven.org/maven2%3c/url>>
    </repository>
  </repositories>

  <pluginRepositories>
    <pluginRepository>
      <id>apache-snapshots</id>
      <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots</url<https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots%3c/url>>
    </pluginRepository>
    <pluginRepository>
      <id>github-releases</id>
      <url>https://repo1.maven.org/maven2</url<https://repo1.maven.org/maven2%3c/url>>
    </pluginRepository>
  </pluginRepositories>

And the most interesting question is why it doesn't work with mwnw.cmd for me or anything you wrote on github.

I'm really looking forward to your wisdom :-D

KR,
Gerhard

___

gerhard.scheucher@fraunhofer.at<ma...@fraunhofer.at> | www.fraunhofer.at<http://www.fraunhofer.at/>

AW: Deine Frage via LinkedIn

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Gerhard,

Apache-rat is our tool to ensure that all source-files have the correct apache headers in them.
It will list which files are missing them just before the build fails and the summary of the build it output.

Chris

Von: Scheucher, Gerhard <ge...@fraunhofer.at>
Datum: Samstag, 1. April 2023 um 14:11
An: Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>, Dummer, Wolfgang <wo...@fraunhofer.at>
Cc: Gaal, Alexander <al...@fraunhofer.at>, dev@plc4x.apache.org <de...@plc4x.apache.org>
Hi Chris,

just recognized that the previous was just the wrapper.

Had to include the following to make pom.xml work:

<dependencies>
    <dependency>
        <groupId>org.apache.plc4x</groupId>
        <artifactId>plc4py</artifactId>
        <version>0.7.0</version>
    </dependency>
</dependencies>
Then with mvnw.cmd install -X for build tools.

[cid:image001.png@01D964A2.94111F90]

Now having problems with rat.txt. Tried to skip with mvnw.cmd install -Dlicense.skip=true -X. But didn’t work.
[cid:image002.png@01D964A3.D4EAE130]

Well at least build-tools succeeded 😃

Will do some electronics and then try to succeed it anyhow. If you have any advices. Don’t hesitate to let me know.

KR,
Gerhard

___

[cid:image014.png@01D964A1.75FB0E40]

[cid:image009.png@01D964A1.75FB0E40]

At least due to any reason the mvnw.cmd install gave an output.

Cleaned the whole .m2:

[cid:image010.png@01D964A1.75FB0E40]

AND NOW with “mvn -N io.takari:maven:wrapper”

[cid:image011.png@01D964A1.75FB0E40]

[cid:image012.png@01D964A1.75FB0E40]

[cid:image013.png@01D964A1.75FB0E40]

RE: Deine Frage via LinkedIn

Posted by "Scheucher, Gerhard" <ge...@fraunhofer.at>.
Hi Chris,

Installed are:

 *   apache-maven-3.9.1
 *   groovy-4.0.11
 *   jdk-20

just cleaned everything and cloned the repo a new. First, that happened:

[cid:image003.png@01D96499.200D59A0]

At least due to any reason the mvnw.cmd install gave an output.

Cleaned the whole .m2:

[cid:image001.png@01D96499.6FB6B8C0]

AND NOW with “mvn -N io.takari:maven:wrapper”

[cid:image002.png@01D9649A.B45C9D90]

[cid:image006.png@01D9649A.B45C9D90]

Worked for sandbox and normal directory &#128515;

I’m really not quite sure what happened but VSCode can already import the module and now the games can begin &#128515;

AW: Deine Frage via LinkedIn

Von: Scheucher, Gerhard <ge...@fraunhofer.at>
Datum: Samstag, 1. April 2023 um 11:32
An: Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>, Dummer, Wolfgang <wo...@fraunhofer.at>