Posted to user@helix.apache.org by Vinayak Borkar <vb...@yahoo.com> on 2013/02/25 22:29:08 UTC

Dynamically configuring instances

Hi guys,

I am trying to use Helix in a system where the "instances" start up and
listen on a free port that is not pre-configured before the application
starts -- This is done so that the application does not rely on the
availability of specific ports. As a result, the instance name (host,
port) are not know upfront. However, Helix requires the instance be
created in Helix before it connects. Any ideas to get out of this
situation? Is there a way to tell Helix to create an instance on
receiving a connection from an instance?

Thanks,
Vinayak

Re: Dynamically configuring instances

Posted by Shi Lu <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vinayak:

In this scenario, Helix admin command / API (see
http://helix.incubator.apache.org/Tutorial.html) can be used to add the
instance with the new generated name into the cluster, and then the
instance can start with the name. But doing this may require the idealstate
of the resource hosted in the helix cluster be re-calculated after the new
instance is added, unless the resource is in auto-rebalance mode.

Can you share some more details about your use case?

Thanks,
-Shi