Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by javac javac <ja...@mail.com> on 2004/06/05 15:00:41 UTC

help: total newbie

hello all,

where I'm coming from:
i have an accout with http://www.eatj.com/ ,
my url is http://javac.eatj.com/ which may or may not
be up if you try to visit it since eatj.com periodically resets
pages.

several weeks ago I set up an account at http://www.MyJavaServer.com/~Javac/ but since
then have had some sort of a problem logging in.  i've had no luck
getting a response from anyone there, so, if you're a member please
let me know and post something in the discussion groups at that site.

what I'm trying to do:
from eatj.com your basic HelloWorld servlet.  however, I don't know
how to use .war files/tomcat/etc.  at myjavaserver.com i used old
fashioned ftp and was working on a servlet to say "hello
friend," or fred, jane, with an html form.

the .war file stuff's a bit intimidating for me..how do i get it?
once i have the file, i need to edit the manifest and include my
HelloWorld.java servlet, i believe. then ftp it back to eatj.com?

thanks for help & advice,

javac@mail.com

Re: total newbie

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
To create a .WAR with all of the necessary elements  check out
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/tutorial/1_3-fcs/doc/WebComponents3.html
Once the war is created
then drop in your %CATALINA_HOME%/webapps folder
restart Tomcat and check the http://localhost:8080/manager/html to see if
your webapp got deployed-
hth,
-Martin