Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kar YEOW <ka...@apir.com.au> on 2001/10/18 00:29:02 UTC

Jdbc Driver must be a .jar file

I was trying to use the JDBCRealm for Oracle and realised that I have to
rename the JDBC driver .zip file to .jar for it to be recognised (ie in the
server/lib directory)!  Is it a bug?
Kar

Re: Jdbc Driver must be a .jar file

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Nope ... it's a feature :-).

Seriously, the servlet spec is very clear that only JAR files in
/WEB-INF/lib are recognized.  There are no spec rules at all about shared
library directories (like $TOMCAT_HOME/lib) that are visible to all
webapps -- in fact, a servlet conatiner does not even have to support
this, so relying on it is non-portable -- but for Tomcat we've chosen to
obey the same rule.

Oracle continues to make life harder on people than it should be by
shipping their JDBC drivers as zip files instead.

Craig