Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ed Hillmann <ed...@yahoo.com> on 2005/09/27 04:27:40 UTC

Seeing if a file is part of a tag

We've been using SVN with the standad structure

/trunk/...
/branches/...
/tags/...

The items in tags are copies of the files from either
trunk or branches (depending on what version we're
releasing).

If I'm working on a file in trunk or branches, is
there an easy way to see if it's been tagged (that is,
if it exists in one of the directories in the tag
folder)?

We could see this when we were in CVS, but I can't see
how to easily see whether a file was included in a tag
without going into each of the tags and seeing if the
file is of the same revision.  But that's a bit
labor-intensive.

Thanks for any help,
Ed

Re: Seeing if a file is part of a tag

Posted by Ed Hillmann <ed...@yahoo.com>.
That's the use case! :)

As I mentioned in a previous email, we're looking to
see if the equivalent functionality from cvs is
possible in svn.  In that, we want to see what
revisions of a file was included in various tags.

As Karl alludes, it's not always just finding the
different copies of the trunk, as tags are taken off
of branches as well.

But it is for the purpose of seeing if released code
(denoted via a tag) contains a specific revision of a
file, to determine if released code has or has not
known problems.

Karl said it better.

It sounds like it doesn't have it, and we can live
with that.  I was just attempting to make sure that
there wasn't a way of getting at this information
easily, and I just wasn't aware.

Posted by kf...@collab.net.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 27, 2005, at 15:25, Ximon Eighteen wrote:

>>> We've been using SVN with the standad structure
>>>
>>> /trunk/...
>>> /branches/...
>>> /tags/...
>>>
>>> The items in tags are copies of the files from either
>>> trunk or branches (depending on what version we're
>>> releasing).
>>>
>>> If I'm working on a file in trunk or branches, is
>>> there an easy way to see if it's been tagged (that is,
>>> if it exists in one of the directories in the tag
>>> folder)?
>>>
>>> We could see this when we were in CVS, but I can't see
>>> how to easily see whether a file was included in a tag
>>> without going into each of the tags and seeing if the
>>> file is of the same revision.  But that's a bit
>>> labor-intensive.
>>
>> how about
>> svn log http://svn.mydomain.com/tags/tagnumber/project/myfile.c
>> If the file exists, you'll get a log. If it doesn't, you'll get
>> "not found"
>
> Useful for just a single tag but not to find which tag, if any, in
> a large set of tags the file exists in.

What is the use-case? What is the problem you are trying to solve,
the question you are trying to answer?

Tags are intended to be complete copies of either trunk or a branch.
Thus, if you create a file foo in a branch in revision R, and delete
it later in revision R+100, then any tags created from that branch
between revisions R and R+100 have foo, and any created before or
after don't. Or, put another way, if you have a file foo in the
branch, you can look at its log to see when it was created, and then
you know that any tags of that branch created after that time contain
it.

Or are you using tags in a different way? If so, how?

Re: Seeing if a file is part of a tag

Posted by Ximon Eighteen <xi...@int.greenpeace.org>.

Posted by Chris Curvey <cc...@gmail.com>.
how about

On 9/27/05, Ed Hillmann <ed...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> We've been using SVN with the standad structure
>
> /trunk/...
> /branches/...
> /tags/...
>
> The items in tags are copies of the files from either
> trunk or branches (depending on what version we're
> releasing).
>
> If I'm working on a file in trunk or branches, is
> there an easy way to see if it's been tagged (that is,
> if it exists in one of the directories in the tag
> folder)?
>
> We could see this when we were in CVS, but I can't see
> how to easily see whether a file was included in a tag
> without going into each of the tags and seeing if the
> file is of the same revision. But that's a bit
> labor-intensive.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Ed

Nervous passengers are advised to wear a blindfold.