Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org> on 2008/06/23 17:53:15 UTC

Telnet bundle

Hello everyone,

I have been meaning to ask about this for a while (perhaps I already
did), is there any interest in bring the old telnet bundle into Felix? I
still use this bundle occasionally. It is dependent upon telnetd, which
is released under BSD (I see there is now telnetd2, which is still under
a BSD-like license). So, it seems do-able.

Thoughts?

-> richard

RE: Telnet bundle

Posted by Craig Phillips <lc...@praxiseng.com>.
Hi,

Been a bit of a struggle on my end... Some background, from most recent...

- The existing telnetd bundle source will not build with telnetd2 (wimpi) nor, walking backwards, telnetd1.0b4... Got close with telnetd1.0b4, by making 'io.toolkit.Editline' a public class, but the shell is not compiling due to missing methods...
- If I shutdown the bundle, the listen socket is still bound
  # Note that the bundle DOES invoke shutdown() of dtw.telnetD which subsequently calls shutdown on 'myListener', but to no avail;

- Needless to say, I can not embed a felix container with this functionality as it stands, as a subsequent restart of the container gets a socket bind failure on port 6623 (the property specified listen port) as it's currently bound to a defunct container;

Hence, it looks like it would be a bit of work to upgrade the existing telnetd bundle code to, for sake of argument, wimpi.telnetd2...

In the short run, I'm willing to simply fix the socket listener problem, but I am still backtracking to find the dtw.telnetD source that will build with the telnetd bundle... I'm about to get dtw.telnetd.1.0b3 next...

Appreciate the interest... I find the feature to be a useful tool... I don't necessarily need the 'ssh' stuff as I'm sort of telnet'ing from the same box from whence the container is run... IMO, there are other ways of defeating the lax in security (e.g., firewall) -- meaning, I ssh to the box and telnet to the container from there... easy enough and secure enough (IMO)... I'm only interested in the [more than] rudimentary console for which the bundle provides...  I get a lot of useful mileage out of the telnetd bundle...

Thanks, much appreciative, Craig Phillips, Praxis Engineering..

Yeah, your message was the instigator for my message. :-)

-> richard

Re: Telnet bundle

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: Telnet bundle

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.
Richard

--

Ascert - Taking systems to the Edge
robw@ascert.com

Re: Telnet bundle

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Richard S. Hall schrieb:
> Dieter Wimberger wrote:

>>> Interesting. Didn't know you were here. :-)
>>
>> I am ;)
>>
>> I was already was giving Felix a hard time, because I was trying to
>> port to felix and do configuration tasks with the webconsole.
>
> Excellent. It is always good to give Felix [Meschberger] a hard time. ;-)

Yeah, yeah ;-)

Regards
Felix Meschberger

Re: Telnet bundle

Posted by Didier Donsez <di...@imag.fr>.
+1 too
Didier

Karl Pauls wrote:

>On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>

>>Dieter Wimberger schrieb:
>>

>>>Richard:

>>>Ok. Honestly I don't know, so I could not tell.

>>>At the moment that would be:
>>>- Telnet
>>>- SSH2 (based on Jaramiko)
>>>- Poolable shells (based on commons-pool)
>>>- Template based output (based on Stringtemplate/Antlr, uses XML files to
>>>store the templates)
>>>- Scriptshell (based on Beanshell)
>>>
>>>Jaramiko is currently embedded, the bundle is around 360 kB (160 are from
>>>jaramiko).
>>>There is also a dependency on commons-collections (buffers and cursorable
>>>linked list) and SLF4J (logging);
>>>

>>I for my part would of course love to see this in Apache Felix ! But I think
>>it is perfectly worth it to keep it where it is (to spread the word and
>>community around OSGi).

>>>I'll investigate a bit later to see if I can get it up and running in a
>>>felix container instance. I also try to make a short circuit with Craig to
>>>get this on the road.
>>>

>>+1 to get this into Felix

>>As I said, I am all for having (2) in Apache Felix and would warmly welcome
>>(1) in Felix, too, if the licenses of the used libraries are ok.
>>

>+1
>
>regards,
>
>Karl
>

>>Regards
>>Felix

Didier DONSEZ

Laboratoire LIG, Equipe ADELE
Universite Joseph Fourier
Bat. C, 220 rue de la Chimie, Domaine Universitaire
BP 53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Tel : +33 4 76 63 55 49           Fax : +33 4 76 63 55 50
GPS : lat 45°11'38.3"N, lon 05°46'14.7"E, alt 223m

mailto:Didier.Donsez@imag.fr
Map: http://www-adele.imag.fr/users/Didier.Donsez/map/map.html

Re: Telnet bundle

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: Telnet bundle

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Telnet bundle

Posted by Dieter Wimberger <di...@wimpi.net>.
Richard:

> The Felix console is the easiest part, I believe, since most of the
> work is done by the shell service.

Ok. Honestly I don't know, so I could not tell.

> What is the scope of (1), i.e., what functionality is included in it.

At the moment that would be:
- Telnet
- SSH2 (based on Jaramiko)
- Poolable shells (based on commons-pool)
- Template based output (based on Stringtemplate/Antlr, uses XML files
to store the templates)
- Scriptshell (based on Beanshell)

Jaramiko is currently embedded, the bundle is around 360 kB (160 are
from jaramiko).
There is also a dependency on commons-collections (buffers and
cursorable linked list) and SLF4J (logging);

>> 2 should live at felix (Apache) and may be derived from the old
>> codebase. If you point me to a codebase I could get started from, I
>> can invest some time to port and make it working with the newer
>> telnetd codebase (i.e. 1).
>
> Makes sense and, as I said, it is pretty simple.

I'll investigate a bit later to see if I can get it up and running in
a felix container instance. I also try to make a short circuit with
Craig to get this on the road.

>> I think that your group/committee should decide if you want to get
>> 1 and 2 or just 2 into the felix project. Either way I'd be doing
>> as much as I can; it's a long term interest (because the online
>> community I am a part of since years will switch soon, and we will
>> continue to use the codebase in a production environment; all OSGi
>> btw.).
>
> Ok, great. We will see what others have to say. Thanks.

Great.

Regards,
Dieter

Re: Telnet bundle

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: Telnet bundle

Posted by Dieter Wimberger <di...@wimpi.net>.
Richard:

Re: Telnet bundle

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Richard S. Hall schrieb:
> Dieter Wimberger wrote:
>> The language level I currently use is Java 1.3. In comparison to the
>> older codebase, it may not run on very small embedded systems that are
>> often Java 1 (if at all).
>>
>> I took this decision, because I needed SSH and the library I found
>> (latest version is released under MIT license;
>> http://www.lag.net/paramiko/java) needs 1.3.
>
> I would think that Java 1.3 would be fine as far as I am concerned. Others?
>
>> I guess it would be possible to get some things that are overhead out
>> of the codebase and add them as extensions (e.g. Templates based on
>> antlr and stringtemplates, Beanshell based shell, text editors etc.).
>> It all depends on the requirements and the functionality you would
>> like to see.
>
> Well, from my point of view, I don't think we need to target less than
> Java 1.3, but we can see what others think.

I also think 1.3 is reasonable.

Regards
Felix

Re: Telnet bundle

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.
Hi there Dieter - nice to see you're working in and around OSGi. I was
the original "bundler" of telnetd a few years back., you may remember we
swapped a couple of emails.

It was only ever a rapid hack - so be wonderful if you've a fuller
featured and better bundled approach.

> I would think that Java 1.3 would be fine as far as I am concerned.
> Others?

Yep - would agree. We hardly ever expect less than 1.4 these days in
libs and tools we look at.

Regards

-- Rob Walker

Re: Telnet bundle