Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> on 2007/02/16 14:23:39 UTC

Re: svnsync and non-interactive authentication. bug?

On 2/16/07, C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net> wrote:
> While documenting svnsync in The Book, a question occurred to me.  I see
> that svnsync has --username and --password command-line options, as well as
> the related --no-auth-cache and --non-interactive options.
>
> But what happens if both the source and target repositories of your
> mirroring process require authentication, and as different users?  Are you
> just out of luck in terms of getting non-interactive functionality?  Is this
> a shortcoming of svnsync, or am I overlooking something?
>
> (I admit it -- I haven't tested this to see what happens.  It's 4am, and I'm
> going cross-eyed, so this mail is as much a TODO that will wind up back in
> my Inbox as it is a question for someone else to answer.)

If I had to guess it won't work, but like you I haven't actually tried it.

-garrett

Re: svnsync and non-interactive authentication. bug?

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> Daniel Rall wrote:

>>> If I had to guess it won't work, but like you I haven't actually tried it.
>> Sounds like a bug to me.  We'd need a second set of
>> --username/--password command-line options to correct this problem.
>
> I was thinking the same thing.

By the way, I tracked this in issue #2717, which I just closed as FIXED (per
the commit in r23433).

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Daniel Rall wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Garrett Rooney wrote:
>
>> On 2/16/07, C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net> wrote:
>>> While documenting svnsync in The Book, a question occurred to me.  I see
>>> that svnsync has --username and --password command-line options, as well as
>>> the related --no-auth-cache and --non-interactive options.
>>>
>>> But what happens if both the source and target repositories of your
>>> mirroring process require authentication, and as different users?  Are you
>>> just out of luck in terms of getting non-interactive functionality?  Is
>>> this
>>> a shortcoming of svnsync, or am I overlooking something?
>>>
>>> (I admit it -- I haven't tested this to see what happens.  It's 4am, and
>>> I'm
>>> going cross-eyed, so this mail is as much a TODO that will wind up back in
>>> my Inbox as it is a question for someone else to answer.)
>> If I had to guess it won't work, but like you I haven't actually tried it.
>
> Sounds like a bug to me.  We'd need a second set of
> --username/--password command-line options to correct this problem.

I was thinking the same thing.

Now, how do we do that compatibly?  I mean, ideally, the option names would
all carry the "from/to" or "source"/"target" or "source"/"sync" (haha!)
naming.  But we already have flat --username/--password.

The best thing I can think of which let's us look forward without changing
the meanings of things today is:

   * introduce the four new options

   * make "--username FOO" mean "--from-username FOO --to-username FOO";
     same for the password args

   * only allow --username if neither --from-username nor --to-username
     are present (to discourage less-than-clear meanings); same for the
     password args

Sound sane?

Anybody partial to a particular pair of new option prefixes?  I kinda like
"source" and "sync" myself (so --source-username, --sync-username, etc.
It's cute, yet clear.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.