Posted to general@attic.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2020/03/03 14:12:15 UTC

Re: DOAP files for retired projects

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 at 21:53, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> Le jeudi 13 février 2020, 00:57:26 CET Mads Toftum a écrit :
> > On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 03:21:04PM -0800, Hen wrote:
> > > Sounds good to me. I doubt folk are looking at the DOAP file for status
> > > instead of checking the updated site.
> >
> > Aren't these doap files used for building some of
> > https://projects.apache.org/projects.html?
> projects site uses https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/projects.apache.org/trunk/data/projects.xml to find DOAP files

> > I was having a look around the infra tools repo and found
> > infrastructure/site-tools/trunk/projects/attic_files/
> >
> > There's a few project doap files in there but only from 2011 and 2012.

> +1
> we need to make it simple for us, or the job won't get done: if there are complaints later, we'll do the effort to update original DOAP file.

+1

> But I suppose nobody uses these original DOAP files, then we're currently just making our job harder "for fun"...

They are used by projects.a.o. -- unless we comment out the reference
in projects.xml.
That would solve the issue very easily, but it would hide potentially
useful information about past projects.

> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/attic/data/doaps/ looks perfect

Perhaps.

Whilst Attic is responsible for ensuring that the DOAPs get updated,
the data is used by projects.a.o.

Thus I think the override DOAPs really belong under the p.a.o umbrella, i.e.

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/projects.apache.org/trunk/data

This also simplifies the update, since projects.xml can be updated at
the same time as the replacement DOAP is added.

Note that a PMC can have multiple DOAPs, so the files need the PMC
name as part of the path.
Rather than have a separate folder for each PMC, I think a simple
prefix would be sufficient, as most PMCs have a single DOAP.

The existing override file under
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/attic/data/doaps/ will need to be moved.

I intend to get started on that soon.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.