Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Vasu Srinivasan <va...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/19 17:16:42 UTC

Dynamic page display based on a configuration in Wicket

Hello,

I am familiar with wicket concepts and have done some basic stuff with it. I
am currently working on a PoC, but not sure how to get this around in
Wicket. In Wicket, the html and java are directly tied between each other.
However I would like to have an external configuration (json or xml) that
would contain the elements of a page (name, age, address etc fields), and
use that configuration to build out the html and tie it to a generic java
class (based on BasePage class). Is this possible in Wicket?

Or as an alternative, I can keep my generic java class, but instead of
having json/xml I could work directly with multiple htmls - that could be
handled by this generic class which delegates to other classes to handle the
page request. I know its slightly different from Wicket approach, but im
trying to see if this is a possibility.

To give an example --

Page1.html (contains name, age, address fields)
Page2.html (contains name, school education details)

Both of them should be handled by a single java file (which may be allowed
to have all of those fields). In effect the htmls may have only a subset of
fields that the page should handle/validate only those that are present in
the html.

thanks for any pointers

Vasya

Re: Dynamic page display based on a configuration in Wicket

Posted by Vasu Srinivasan <va...@gmail.com>.
James

Took a quick look,, very interesting.. thanks for the suggestion....

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 10:19 AM, James Carman
<ja...@carmanconsulting.com>wrote:

> If you need inspiration, you can check out the Wicketopia project.  It
> dynamically builds forms for beans, but you could easily adapt the
> logic to figure out which fields to display from a different source.
>
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Vasu Srinivasan <va...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am familiar with wicket concepts and have done some basic stuff with
> it. I
> > am currently working on a PoC, but not sure how to get this around in
> > Wicket. In Wicket, the html and java are directly tied between each
> other.
> > However I would like to have an external configuration (json or xml) that
> > would contain the elements of a page (name, age, address etc fields), and
> > use that configuration to build out the html and tie it to a generic java
> > class (based on BasePage class). Is this possible in Wicket?
> >
> > Or as an alternative, I can keep my generic java class, but instead of
> > having json/xml I could work directly with multiple htmls - that could be
> > handled by this generic class which delegates to other classes to handle
> the
> > page request. I know its slightly different from Wicket approach, but im
> > trying to see if this is a possibility.
> >
> > To give an example --
> >
> > Page1.html (contains name, age, address fields)
> > Page2.html (contains name, school education details)
> >
> > Both of them should be handled by a single java file (which may be
> allowed
> > to have all of those fields). In effect the htmls may have only a subset
> of
> > fields that the page should handle/validate only those that are present
> in
> > the html.
> >
> > thanks for any pointers
> >
> > Vasya

Vasu Srinivasan
vagartham.blogspot.com
vasya10.wordpress.com

Re: Dynamic page display based on a configuration in Wicket

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.