Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by si...@insession.com on 2004/10/05 05:46:15 UTC

Questions on Geronimo clustering support

Hi,

I am trying to get a feel for how EJB/JNDI clustering will be implemented
in Geronimo and when it might be implemented.

I remember reading somewhere in the mail archives that the clustering
module in Geronimo has been abandoned and that ActiveCluster will be used.

Is it envisaged that another clustering module will be developed or the
existing one changed?

Is EJB/JNDI clustering planned to be supported in the Geronimo 1.0 release
or is this non-essential functionality that will be in a later release?

Is the WADI project planning on providing EJB Tier clustering in addition
to  Web Tier clustering?

Thanks,

John

Re: Questions on Geronimo clustering support

Posted by si...@insession.com.
Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net> wrote on 10/06/2004 08:21:31 PM:

> sissonj@insession.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to get a feel for how EJB/JNDI clustering will be
implemented
> > in Geronimo and when it might be implemented.
> >
> > I remember reading somewhere in the mail archives that the clustering
> > module in Geronimo has been abandoned and that ActiveCluster will be
used.

> > Is it envisaged that another clustering module will be developed or
the
> > existing one changed?
> >
> > Is EJB/JNDI clustering planned to be supported in the Geronimo 1.0
release
> > or is this non-essential functionality that will be in a later
release?

>  >
>  > Is the WADI project planning on providing EJB Tier clustering in
> addition
>  > to  Web Tier clustering?
>  >

> Yes and No :-)
>
> I have spoken to some of the OpenEJB people about pushing WADI state
> migration and replication technology back and underneath OpenEJB as
> well, and they seem happy with that, but no concrete moves have been
> made in that direction, as I am still hardeining the code in WADI - I am

> not expecting this to be in the first Geronimo release, as clustering is

> not a required piece of the spec.
>
> As for the JNDI side of things, I have given it some cursory thought,
> but no serious consideration. I am waiting to see how the state
> replication technologies that we shall use will pan out. I am aware of
> how other clustered EJB impls work, so that is a good starting point. I
> wasn't intending do to this piece of work myself, and haven't spoken
> about it to David Blevins or the other OpenEJB people....
>
> Does that help ?

Yes that helps fill in the picture of the future. Thanks for the update
Jules.

Posted by Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>.

--
/**********************************

Posted by ja...@mac.com.
On 5 Oct 2004, at 04:46, sissonj@insession.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get a feel for how EJB/JNDI clustering will be
> implemented
> in Geronimo and when it might be implemented.
>
> I remember reading somewhere in the mail archives that the clustering
> module in Geronimo has been abandoned and that ActiveCluster will be
> used.

There are various technologies and techniques which can be classified
under the generic term 'clustering'. Its certainly not on Geronimo's
agenda AFAIK to develop a replicated JNDI solution - though the
Directory project at Apache is doing something like that - but I'd call
that a replicated JNDI rather than a 'clustered' JNDI.

ActiveCluster is a simple & low level API to clusters of nodes and
supports cluster-wide and point to point messaging abstractions. So its
an ideal low level abstraction for builiding a model of which nodes are
available and allocating work among a cluster, implementing
master/slave or electing a leader, implementing a distributed lock
manager etc. So its a fairly low level library that some distributed
algorithm can use.

> Is EJB/JNDI clustering planned to be supported in the Geronimo 1.0
> release
> or is this non-essential functionality that will be in a later release?

Not sure on that one :). I guess it'll be integrated when its ready.

> Is the WADI project planning on providing EJB Tier clustering in
> addition
> to  Web Tier clustering?

Yes.

So WADI is a higher level protocol & framework for implementing web and
EJB based clustering, fail-over, session migration etc. Its based on
top of ActiveCluster.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/