Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Andrew Schwartzmeyer <an...@schwartzmeyer.com> on 2018/05/09 18:51:26 UTC

Deprecating the Python bindings

Hi all,

There are two parallel efforts underway that would both benefit from
officially deprecating (and then removing) the Python bindings. The
first effort is the move to the CMake system: adding support to generate
the Python bindings was investigated but paused (see MESOS-8118), and
the second effort is the move to Python 3: producing Python 3 compatible
bindings is under investigation but not in progress (see MESOS-7163).

Benjamin Bannier, Joseph Wu, and I have all at some point just wondered
how the community would fare if the Python bindings were officially
deprecated and removed. So please, if this would negatively impact you
or your project, let me know in this thread.

Thanks,

Andrew Schwartzmeyer

Re: Deprecating the Python bindings

Posted by Armand Grillet <ag...@mesosphere.io>.
Hi all,

We now have ongoing work to update all our Python components to Python 3
except for the bindings. We have taken care of the build system to work
with both the Python 2 and 3 codebase thus the bindings do not need to be
deprecated/updated before Python 2 EOL (i.e. 2020, and even then I do not
know if an update will be necessary).

I thus do not think that we need to deprecate or move the bindings to a
separate repo. However, the fact that the bindings are not maintained is a
problem. The code to build them is not straightforward
<https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/d733b1031350e03bce443aa287044eb4eee1053a/configure.ac#L2256-L2558>
and I do not know anyone who has the time or interest to update or simplify
the process in the future.

Le mer. 6 juin 2018 à 20:13, James Peach <jp...@apache.org> a écrit :

> > On May 9, 2018, at 11:51 AM, Andrew Schwartzmeyer <
> andrew@schwartzmeyer.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > There are two parallel efforts underway that would both benefit from
> officially deprecating (and then removing) the Python bindings. The first
> effort is the move to the CMake system: adding support to generate the
> Python bindings was investigated but paused (see MESOS-8118), and the
> second effort is the move to Python 3: producing Python 3 compatible
> bindings is under investigation but not in progress (see MESOS-7163).
> >
> > Benjamin Bannier, Joseph Wu, and I have all at some point just wondered
> how the community would fare if the Python bindings were officially
> deprecated and removed. So please, if this would negatively impact you or
> your project, let me know in this thread.
>
> Another approach could be to move the bindings from the `mesos` git repo
> to a separate repo (either the ASF or in the `mesos` GitHub org). This
> could decouple it from the main Mesos build infrastructure and create a
> project for a Python community to coalesce around. I think there's value in
> nominating an official Python binding, but maybe we don't have to carry
> that in the same git repo and build system.

Armand Grillet
Software Engineer, Mesosphere

Re: Deprecating the Python bindings

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kone <vi...@apache.org>.
One of the production users that I know who used to depend on python
bindings were https://github.com/douban.

Also, apache aurora used to have an executor that depended on python
bindings.

I don't know what their dependencies are these days w.r.t python bindings.

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 11:51 AM, Andrew Schwartzmeyer <

Posted by Vinod Kone <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Javi Roman <jr...@gmail.com>.
Andrew,

Is it one of the reasons for deprecating this binding the lack of
interest of Mesos community? If the answer is yes, let me try to boost
the maintenance of this biding.

--
Javi Roman

Twitter: @javiromanrh