Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Vladimir Strigun <vs...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/09 11:36:34 UTC

running eclipse on Harmony classlib

I'm able to run eclipse on Harmony classlib + J9 VM. To run Eclipse
you need to make following steps:

- download xalan.jar, xercesImpl.jar, xml-apis.jar and serializer.jar
from xml.apache.org and put it to deploy/jre/lib/boot/

- add next line to jre/lib/boot/bootclasspath.properties :
bootclasspath.38=serializer.jar

- download and build Intel contribution of beans, math and regex
packages ( http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-39 )

- copy beans.jar, math.jar, regex.jar to deploy/jre/lib/boot/ folder

- launch deploy/jre/bin/java -cp $ECLIPSE_HOME/startup.jar
org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main

I've tried to create simple Java project and Hello class inside.
Everything works fine without any exception or problems.

Tim, in your movie I have seen new type for installed JRE in Eclipse:
"Apache Harmony VM". Do you have Eclipse plugin for Harmony already?

Harmony JRE plug-in for Eclipse (was: Re: running eclipse on Harmony classlib)

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Vladimir Strigun wrote:
<snip>
> Just interesing: do you used standard eclipse VM runner and VM
> debugger (I mean classes
> org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.StandardVMRunner and
> org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.StandardVMDebugger) in your plugin
> ?

gasp -- no.  No internal stuff, just subclassing the AbstractVMRunner.

> What types of VM's your plugin is supported?

The plug-in doesn't much care about the VM, it's dealings are with the
Harmony launcher and JRE layout.  I did try to create a config that
recognizes the -vmdir option of the launcher so I can switch kernel.jar
but Eclipse JDT doesn't give me enough info to do that successfully.

> Looks like that IBM VM
> works well with standard runner and debugger, but if we want to
> support other Harmony VM's then  I think it will be necessary to make
> own implementation of mentioned classes inside plugin. In this case,
> runner and debugger can apply VM-specific options, for instance for
> IBM VM and Jchevm.

What VM-specific options did you have in mind?  If they are options that
are *always* set when creating a VM then they should be in
JNI_CreateJavaVM so they are set in embedded VMs.  If they are used when
launching the VM, or you can't modify that code, you can put them in
your VM properties file which is read by the launcher (e.g. for the IBM
VM look in jre/bin/default/clearvm.properties).  The launcher passes
these through to the VM (see createVMArgs function in launcher/main.c
code [1]).

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/native-src/linux.IA32/launcher/main.c?view=markup

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: running eclipse on Harmony classlib

Posted by Vladimir Strigun <vs...@gmail.com>.
On 2/9/06, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Vladimir Strigun wrote:
> > I'm able to run eclipse on Harmony classlib + J9 VM. To run Eclipse
> > you need to make following steps:
> >
> > - download xalan.jar, xercesImpl.jar, xml-apis.jar and serializer.jar
> > from xml.apache.org and put it to deploy/jre/lib/boot/
> >
> > - add next line to jre/lib/boot/bootclasspath.properties :
> > bootclasspath.38=serializer.jar
> >
> > - download and build Intel contribution of beans, math and regex
> > packages ( http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-39 )
> >
> > - copy beans.jar, math.jar, regex.jar to deploy/jre/lib/boot/ folder
> >
> > - launch deploy/jre/bin/java -cp $ECLIPSE_HOME/startup.jar
> > org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main
> >
> > I've tried to create simple Java project and Hello class inside.
> > Everything works fine without any exception or problems.
>
> That is excellent!
>
> > Tim, in your movie I have seen new type for installed JRE in Eclipse:
> > "Apache Harmony VM". Do you have Eclipse plugin for Harmony already?
>
> Yes, I just need to get the appropriate "ok"'s from IBM and then
> (assuming I do get them) I shall bring it to the project.

Just interesing: do you used standard eclipse VM runner and VM
debugger (I mean classes
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.StandardVMRunner and
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.StandardVMDebugger) in your plugin
? What types of VM's your plugin is supported? Looks like that IBM VM
works well with standard runner and debugger, but if we want to
support other Harmony VM's then  I think it will be necessary to make
own implementation of mentioned classes inside plugin. In this case,
runner and debugger can apply VM-specific options, for instance for
IBM VM and Jchevm.

Thanks,
Vladimir Strigun,
Intel Middleware Products Division

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Strigun <vs...@gmail.com>.
On 2/10/06, Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> Vladimir Strigun wrote:
> > I'm able to run eclipse on Harmony classlib + J9 VM. To run Eclipse
> > you need to make following steps:
> >
> > - download xalan.jar, xercesImpl.jar, xml-apis.jar and serializer.jar
> > from xml.apache.org and put it to deploy/jre/lib/boot/
> >
> > - add next line to jre/lib/boot/bootclasspath.properties :
> > bootclasspath.38=serializer.jar
> >
> > - download and build Intel contribution of beans, math and regex
> > packages ( http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-39 )
> >
> > - copy beans.jar, math.jar, regex.jar to deploy/jre/lib/boot/ folder
> >
> > - launch deploy/jre/bin/java -cp $ECLIPSE_HOME/startup.jar
> > org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main
> >
> > I've tried to create simple Java project and Hello class inside.
> > Everything works fine without any exception or problems.
> >
> > Tim, in your movie I have seen new type for installed JRE in Eclipse:
> > "Apache Harmony VM". Do you have Eclipse plugin for Harmony already?
>
> Holy cow, this is awesome!
>
> Have you tried with our own VM?

Unfortunately haven't tried yet.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.