Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2013/07/27 00:03:57 UTC

Flex 4.10.0 Release Status

Hi,

At this point, I think we have three significant issues in the release.

1. Folks using ResourceModules via flashvars will get exceptions.  The
population affected is small, but enough folks use them that already two
folks on our dev list have said they are affected.
2. The default template for new projects in Flash Builder is incorrect.
This gives a bad first impression on new users.
3. LCDS customers will receive verify errors when using mx.data.DataItem
and users with custom IList implementations will need to upgrade their
implementations.  The population of LCDS customers is also small, but many
of them are the big enterprises and we don't want to give them a reason
not to move to Apache Flex.

For #1: I have a fix ready to go.  It passed all mustella tests.
For #3: I think we should just revert the change to IList.  No need to
force IList implementations to implement this method.  I cannot figure out
how the customer that brought up this issue got around it.  I suppose we
could ship our own version of DataItem, but I'd rather not and I think
that requires going through a donation process.

For #2: The FB code is assuming that versions in flex-sdk-description.xml
are single digits, so 4.9 parses but 4.10 does not.  I'm not sure there is
a way for us to hack FB with a patch, and I don't imagine I can get Adobe
to respond in the timeframe we want.  What would be the negative impact of
just lying about the version in flex-sdk-description.xml?  We could also
rename the release to 4.9.5 or even go to 5.0.0.

I think we need to resolve all three issues before we really push out
these bits.

Thoughts?

-Alex

Re: Flex 4.10.0 Release Status

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/26/13 5:54 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> +1 to reverting the change.  There could be thirdparty components for
>>which
>> the source code may not be readily accessible.  This could be a big
>> problem.
>Not really there's is a  work around ie revert the change in the SDK and
>recompile. As everyone has access to the source code they  patch and
>recompile if needed for backwards compatibility. I think you have to be
>doing something a little odd for this to be an issue ie overriding an
>mx_internal method?
There may be confusion here.  The recommendation is to revert the addition
of removeItem to the Ilist interface.  The conversion of mx_internal
setSelectedIndex to public is a separate issue, and not a factor for this
release because we have always warned folks that overriding mx_internal
stuff was not guaranteed in future releases.

-Alex

Re: Flex 4.10.0 Release Status

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> +1 to reverting the change.  There could be thirdparty components for which
> the source code may not be readily accessible.  This could be a big
> problem.
Not really there's is a  work around ie revert the change in the SDK and recompile. As everyone has access to the source code they  patch and recompile if needed for backwards compatibility. I think you have to be doing something a little odd for this to be an issue ie overriding an mx_internal method?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Flex 4.10.0 Release Status

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 3:03 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At this point, I think we have three significant issues in the release.
>
> 1. Folks using ResourceModules via flashvars will get exceptions.  The
> population affected is small, but enough folks use them that already two
> folks on our dev list have said they are affected.
> 2. The default template for new projects in Flash Builder is incorrect.
> This gives a bad first impression on new users.
> 3. LCDS customers will receive verify errors when using mx.data.DataItem
> and users with custom IList implementations will need to upgrade their
> implementations.  The population of LCDS customers is also small, but many
> of them are the big enterprises and we don't want to give them a reason
> not to move to Apache Flex.
>
> For #1: I have a fix ready to go.  It passed all mustella tests.
> For #3: I think we should just revert the change to IList.  No need to
> force IList implementations to implement this method.  I cannot figure out
> how the customer that brought up this issue got around it.  I suppose we
> could ship our own version of DataItem, but I'd rather not and I think
> that requires going through a donation process.

+1 to reverting the change.  There could be thirdparty components for which
the source code may not be readily accessible.  This could be a big
problem.

> For #2: The FB code is assuming that versions in flex-sdk-description.xml
> are single digits, so 4.9 parses but 4.10 does not.  I'm not sure there is
> a way for us to hack FB with a patch, and I don't imagine I can get Adobe
> to respond in the timeframe we want.  What would be the negative impact of
> just lying about the version in flex-sdk-description.xml?  We could also
> rename the release to 4.9.5 or even go to 5.0.0.

The other option would be to ship as 4.10.0 and add a note about it in our
RELEASE_NOTES.  The workaround is simple enough.  Another reason is I am
very curious to see how Adobe reacts to this.  I imagine that this would be
a simple enough patch for them to release as well.

If Adobe does not react quickly enough after the release, we can release a
4.10.1 patch that can just lie about the version in the
flex-sdk-description.xml.  What are the repurcussions to this?

Thanks,
Om

Re: Flex 4.10.0 Release Status

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
>The parsing reg exp pasted in another thread doesn't look to be the issue.

> > It contains \\d+ which match for more than one digit. and would parse
> >4.10.0 with that expression as "4.10.0", ".10.0" and ".0".
> OK, I'll keep looking then.  I haven't tried it myself.  Are folks who are
> hitting this using FB 4.7 or FB 4.6?

I just tested it.  This happens with FB 4.6 and FB 4.7.

Thanks,
Om

Re: Flex 4.10.0 Release Status

Posted by Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com>.
I thought I was alone in finding 4.10 confusing.   I think it might be a
good idea to call this 4.9.5 or 5.0

Re: Flex 4.10.0 Release Status

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
OK, found time to look.  The working SWF is not using mx.data.DataList
which is why it won't throw the verify error.  Somehow, when you are
regenerating the data classes, the data wizard decided that it didn't need
DataList and other LCDS classes.

If that works for you, great, but for those who must use the LCDS classes,
whatever worked for you probably isn't going to work for them.  I think
we'll have to revert the IList change.

-Alex

Re: Flex 4.10.0 Release Status

Posted by Flex Hdsign <fl...@hdsign.nl>.

Re: Flex 4.10.0 Release Status

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Flex 4.10.0 Release Status

Posted by Swen van Zanten <fl...@hdsign.nl>.
Op 27 jul. 2013, om 06:20 heeft Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> het volgende geschreven:

> On 7/26/13 5:51 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
>>> 3. LCDS customers will receive verify errors when using mx.data.DataItem
>>> and users with custom IList implementations will need to upgrade their
>>> implementations.
>> Do you read the bottom of
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33631? There is a workaround.
>> "I delete the service from flash builder with all the as files and added
>> the service again through the wizard with the same php file.
>> Compiled the project and it worked like a charm."
> Yeah, and so I asked for more information because that just doesn't make
> sense to me, plus even if it does work, we need to find out why so we can
> instruct folks who don't have FB.  And then there's all of the other pain
> folks have already warned us with their custom Ilists.  I think the better
> move is to revert.

Here is hopefully your answer.. otherwise I don't know what to do.
[1] contains the project with the error
[2] contains the project with a workaround
[3] screenshots on how I did it

srcview is available.

[1] http://compuniek.nl/flex/notWorking/
[2] http://compuniek.nl/flex/Working/
[3] http://compuniek.nl/flex/fix/

> -Alex

Regards,

SWEN VAN ZANTEN
Hoofdstraat 160
2171 BL, Sassenheim

Re: Flex 4.10.0 Release Status

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Flex 4.10.0 Release Status

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Flex 4.10.0 Release Status

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi, that issue is issue #3 in my list.  Can you provide more information
about how you fixed it?  I would think you would have to swap out 4.10.0
swcs for 4.9.x swcs.

Re: Flex 4.10.0 Release Status

Posted by Swen van Zanten <fl...@hdsign.nl>.
Hi All,

I had this [1] today on a new project also… I guess this is a bug too.. Or a fb bug.. With 4.9.1 I haven't had this problem.

Re: Flex 4.10.0 Release Status

Posted by Chris Martin <wi...@gmail.com>.
Paul,

I changed version to 4.6.0 in the ..\sdks\4.9.1\flex-sdk-description.xml
file and design view works just fine.  But I don't bank on it all the
time.  Eventually, like Nick, i'll have to re-train my brain and stop using
Design view.  Really a bummer they stopped working on that, it's great for
quickly laying things out and tweeking positions of UI elements without
itterating builds just to see how a 1 pixel adjustment looks.

Chris

Re: Flex 4.10.0 Release Status

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Paul,

Re: Flex 4.10.0 Release Status

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 7/31/2013 12:58 AM, OmPrakash Muppirala wrote:
> "eclipse becomes violently drunk"
>
> Yes, that is an actual technical term :-)

yeah when eclipse starts belting out this tune, its time to shut it down ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUeKDtMV1gA

Re: Flex 4.10.0 Release Status

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Flex 4.10.0 Release Status