Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@alaska.net> on 2004/04/15 16:55:23 UTC

1.4 dependency jars

=====
1) velocity-<version>.jar : The Velocity jar that does not include
any external dependencies needed by Velocity, such as the
jakarta-commons-collection classes, Jakarta Avalon Logkit, or
Jakarta ORO. We do this to allow you to use whatever version of
collections, logkit, etc that you wish w/o fear of collision.
These jars are included in the distribution, in
the build/lib directory, or at the respective project sites.
=====

It's not clear from skimming the 1.4 docs which minimum/tested versions of
the jar files are needed or what additional jar files are needed.  I'd also
recommend that "Velocity, such as" be replaced with "Velocity, which are" as
the first suggests that "these, and more" are required, while the second
explicitly states that "these, and only these" are needed.

In fact, here's my suggested rewrite [?no idea? needs to be replaced with
the minimum version of ORO]:

=====
1) velocity-<version>.jar : The Velocity jar that does not include any
external dependencies needed by Velocity, which are the
jakarta-commons-collection classes (commons-collections.jar -- 2.1 or
higher), Jakarta Avalon Logkit (logkit-1.0.1.jar or higher), and Jakarta ORO
(oro.jar -- ?no idea? or higher). We do this to allow you to use whatever

Re: 1.4 dependency jars

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.
Not a bad idea.  Agreed.

geir

geir@4quarters.com

Re: 1.4 dependency jars

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.
even better!

geir@4quarters.com

Re: 1.4 dependency jars

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net>.
> Heh heh, are you sure about that? I had to add commons-digester and
> commons-beanutils, which aren't in the velosurf/lib. Those are probably
> req'd for VelTools or Velocity.

ok, my mistake - and a bug in the ant publication process :-)

CloD

RE: 1.4 dependency jars

Posted by Tim Colson <tc...@cisco.com>.
> Yes, thanks on your feedback on the velosurf list, Tim. But
> the readme for the sample says you have to copy the libs from the
> /velosurf/lib directory, which contains all the needed jars
Heh heh, are you sure about that? I had to add commons-digester and
commons-beanutils, which aren't in the velosurf/lib. Those are probably
req'd for VelTools or Velocity.

The point is just that having a list of req'd stuff is a Good Thing
(tm). :-)

Cheers,
Timo

Re: 1.4 dependency jars

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net>.
> Totally different topic. I just had to dig up the 'correct' jars for a
> project (Velosurf) yesterday. It would have saved me a lot of time if I
> had a list of the minimum req'ts.

Yes, thanks on your feedback on the velosurf list, Tim. But the readme for the sample says you have to copy the libs from the
/velosurf/lib directory, which contains all the needed jars - and in fact, those jars are needed by veltools, not Velosurf itself.

CloD

RE: 1.4 dependency jars

Posted by Tim Colson <tc...@cisco.com>.

Re: 1.4 dependency jars

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.

geir@4quarters.com

RE: 1.4 dependency jars

Re: [VELTOOLS] Singleton roadmap?

Posted by Nathan Bubna <na...@esha.com>.
Tim Colson said:
> Nathan said in Jan 2004,
> > "the plan has been to change [from Singleton] after 1.1 final."
>
> But then, via a freak wormhole in time, in Dec 2003 he pushed the time
> back:
> "...in VelocityTools 1.2 we plan to convert the VVS
>  to no longer use Velocity in singleton mode."

before the branch (March 11, 2004):  "in 1.2" == "after 1.1 final"

and even after the branch:  "in 1.2"  ~= "after 1.1 final"

i only have wormholes in my apples.  :)

> I find myself being bitten a little by this, using 1.2dev.
>
> I added VVS into Jetspeed, which is based on Turbine, which already has
> a Velocity engine started and configured -- good times are not being had
> by all. ;-)

yeah, that could be ugly.

> So Nathan -- what's the roadmap, is this on your radar still for 1.2?

definitely still on my radar for in 1.2 and after 1.1 final.  and as dangerous
as it is to suggest actual calendar time frames for these things, i'm done
with finals in mid-may.  if i don't get a chance to cut 1.1 final before then,
that'll be one of my first priorities.  and once i've done that, i plan to
start fiddling with the singleton-to-engine switch.

of course, if you're up for helping with that yourself, i could probably find
some time to discuss issues and test patches.  :)

Nathan Bubna
nathan@esha.com

[VELTOOLS] Singleton roadmap?

Posted by Tim Colson <tc...@cisco.com>.