Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> on 2011/06/27 14:28:33 UTC

Top level question on website migration

Assuming we're not trying for a "big bang" migration where we move
everything at once, it seems we have two main approaches:

1) Assign existing OpenOffice.org DNS to Apache now.  For services
which we have not yet migrated to Apache we redirect back to Oracle's
server, by IP address.  As additional services are migrated to Apache,
we remove redirects.

2) Do it in the opposite direction:   DNS goes to Oracle's servers and
they redirect to Apache for services that we've migrated.  As services
are migrated we ask Oracle to add additional requests.  When
everything is migrated then we switch over the DNS.

#1 seems a lot cleaner to me, and requires less coordination with
Oracle.  We control the DNS, redirects and generally set the pace of
migration.  But are there protocols beyond http/https that we need to
worry about?  For example, any ftp, smtp, nntp, etc. that would
complicate things?

If we can agree on the general approach I don't see why we couldn't
start some migration this week.  Bugzilla, for example, seems to be a
straightforward.

-Rob

Re: Top level question on website migration

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>wrote:
>

>> On Jun 27, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:

>> Oracle's

>> Apache
>> "up"
>> available

>> business.

>> doing
>> on
>> have

>> wonder
>> Who

>> handles
>> the

>> what

>> of

>> at
>> we

>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/site/trunk/lib/view.pm?revision=1137122&view=markup

>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/site/trunk/templates/skeleton.html?revision=1137122&view=markup

>> > What about the rest of the questions:
>> > - Do/Will apache.ooo have SSI (PHP/Python/Ruby/Ruby backend)?
>>
>> This is a really good question, but apparently not. I think that there are
>> plenty of reasons for user support to require a dynamic server, but I think
>> that is a separate discussion. Rob's discussion about user support ideas and
>> your response has me thinking Open Social.
>>
>> > - What is the direction of this site?
>>
>> I think we build it and move it around. My thought is that we build the
>> new Apache OpenOffice replacement for openoffice.org at
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/www/ with the mdtext at
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/site/trunk/www/
>>
>> I think that the initial OpenOffice landing page is pretty nicely done.
>>
>> > - Who decided on this template?
>>
>> It was copied from another podling. Feel free to make adjustments under
>> lazy consensus.
>>
>> I did find the following:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/cms/conversion-utilities/cwiki/README.txt
>>
>> So, we can develop content on OOODEV and then convert it to markdown. This
>> would be good to know and test.
>>

> Should we just import the original OOo Theme?
>
> I am aware the difference CSS changes that would need to be made but this
> was done for MediaWiki and Drupal already. So I dont see any reason why the
> Apache cms (OOo@Apache) wouldnt.

These are the basic structures of the website (Stylesheet, Images and JS)
html template was handled somewhere else:
http://asset-1.openoffice.org/branding/kenai/

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español

Re: Top level question on website migration

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jun 27, 2011, at 11:58 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 27, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:

>> Oracle's

>> "up"
>> available

>> doing
>> have

>> wonder

>> handles
>> the

>> of

>> at
>> we

>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/site/trunk/lib/view.pm?revision=1137122&view=markup

>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/site/trunk/templates/skeleton.html?revision=1137122&view=markup

>>> What about the rest of the questions:
>>> - Do/Will apache.ooo have SSI (PHP/Python/Ruby/Ruby backend)?
>>
>> This is a really good question, but apparently not. I think that there are
>> plenty of reasons for user support to require a dynamic server, but I think
>> that is a separate discussion. Rob's discussion about user support ideas and
>> your response has me thinking Open Social.
>>
>>> - What is the direction of this site?
>>
>> I think we build it and move it around. My thought is that we build the new
>> Apache OpenOffice replacement for openoffice.org at
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/www/ with the mdtext at
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/site/trunk/www/
>>
>> I think that the initial OpenOffice landing page is pretty nicely done.
>>
>>> - Who decided on this template?
>>
>> It was copied from another podling. Feel free to make adjustments under
>> lazy consensus.
>>
>> I did find the following:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/cms/conversion-utilities/cwiki/README.txt
>>
>> So, we can develop content on OOODEV and then convert it to markdown. This
>> would be good to know and test.
>>

> Should we just import the original OOo Theme?

Yes, but I think we should look first and then copy it.

> I am aware the difference CSS changes that would need to be made but this
> was done for MediaWiki and Drupal already. So I dont see any reason why the
> Apache cms (OOo@Apache) wouldnt.

I don't see why it couldn't be done with Confluence as well. If you would share the current OOo template and css code in the confluence wiki as attachments or inline via {code} blocks, we can compare with the simple template already in place and then convert.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español

Re: Top level question on website migration

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jun 27, 2011, at 2:10 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> [...]

Yes, I had a very big learning curve ten years ago. I've project managed / led development of some B2B sites for the past 11 years.

I'm not bringing client side app writing chops to OOo, I'm bringing non-OOo document experience with PDF and MS Office. We generate such from our work websites. Creating and assembling content according to user's requests and producing PPT and PDF on the fly.

We've also done some development with Excel Plug-ins that talk to our website and exchange data.

I'm not afraid of it, but for this one we need to be very careful.

>> So, we at AOOo would have to prove we have the community and  procedures in
>> place in order to get to this point.
>>
>> Whatever we might do  starts on a private site, or in an approved Apache jail.
>> And if so the choices  are here,
>> http://www.apache.org/dev/services.html#virtual-servers,  correct?
>
> The solaris zone stuff is outdated.  We've replaced zones with freebsd jails.
> Otherwise you'd get a vmware instance, and if it's linux you want we'd install
> ubuntu.

Glad I asked.

Regards,
Dave

Re: Top level question on website migration

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jun 27, 2011, at 1:54 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> [...]

Yes, time to upgrade my Tomcat servers at work. Thanks for the reminder :-)

>> If we had a webapps that sits  on Tomcat would that help lower the bar, if only
>> slightly?
>
> No, that has nothing to do with it.  Either the devs know how to write web-safe
> apps
> or they don't.  apache.org sites carry a big bullseye on them from a script
> kiddie's
> standpoint, and the last time we were rooted the exploit vector was an XSS vuln
> in jira.

Gotcha. Whatever Web Interface needs to be narrow, well-defined, bullet proof and well tested with a committed team behind it.

So, we at AOOo would have to prove we have the community and procedures in place in order to get to this point.

Whatever we might do starts on a private site, or in an approved Apache jail. And if so the choices are here, http://www.apache.org/dev/services.html#virtual-servers, correct?

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Top level question on website migration

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español

Re: Top level question on website migration

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español

Re: Top level question on website migration

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jun 27, 2011, at 1:31 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

Alexandro, I really like your ideas that you expressed about linking OOo users instantly to a support network. Whatever might be developed by AOOo to do that will need to be very scalable. And if we mean dynamic then we aren't discussing mirrors so much.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>wrote:

connect the data to a datasource in SVN. So having a sign up sheet or a

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>wrote:

> Dave Fisher wrote on Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 11:54:20 -0700:
> > On Jun 27, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> > > What about the rest of the questions:
> > > - Do/Will apache.ooo have SSI (PHP/Python/Ruby/Ruby backend)?
> >
> > This is a really good question, but apparently not. I think that there
> > are plenty of reasons for user support to require a dynamic server,
> > but I think that is a separate discussion. Rob's discussion about user
> > support ideas and your response has me thinking Open Social.
> >

> Server-side includes are supported, eg
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/site/publish/
> uses them.
>
> Dynamic content is not supported.
>
> Static content (however generated) is supported.

Is it possible to have some CRUD?

Here is the wikipage describing the modules that made the HTML template in
OOo:
http://kenai.com/projects/ooo-migration/pages/LayoutCustomizationforOOoOnKenai

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español

Re: Top level question on website migration

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
Dave--

See below...

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> <snip>
>

> > Ok, if we go with this, doesn't access to
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg
> >
> > require an Apache account and CLA?
>
> Yes.
>
> > So in other words, only "committers" could set this up.
> >
> > I am still confused.
>
> Patches are acceptable form everyone, and given your history ... it's worth
> discussing on the PPMC list giving you this access.
>
> Are you willing to sign an ICLA?

I already did and sent it in. It should be on file along with my preferred
ID.

I'm not trying to be a pain. Basically in the past on OO.o, there were a
variety of committers, every thing from code developers to wiki
contributors, to actual web site contributors, so when I saw the initial
list of "committers", it seemed (though I could be wrong about this) that
this only included code developers.  It seems many of the community didn't
know ANYTHING about what happened or how to get involved until very
recently.

Thanks for your consideration. It's just that I see your "To Do" list, and I
think, well I could do some of that, but I have no access!

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
<snip>

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
see below regarding Dave's location proposal...much snipped from earlier
conversations

-- lots snipped from this earlier reply --

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español

Re: Top level question on website migration

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
On 6/27/2011 11:29 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Kay Schenk<ka...@gmail.com>  wrote:
...snip...

> Sorry Kay, I know the Kenai layout, I was asking about Apache-OOo new site:
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/

For documentation on the Apache CMS system (which is used by many Apache
projects), see here:

   http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html

You can either use SVN to checkout the tree and edit markdown in the
.mdtext files locally, or you can use use a browser to edit pages online.

- Shane

Re: Top level question on website migration

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
See here if you want to edit the webpages:
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/docs/edit-cms.html

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/27/2011 05:28 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> Assuming we're not trying for a "big bang" migration where we move
>> everything at once, it seems we have two main approaches:
>>
>> 1) Assign existing OpenOffice.org DNS to Apache now.  For services
>> which we have not yet migrated to Apache we redirect back to Oracle's
>> server, by IP address.  As additional services are migrated to Apache,
>> we remove redirects.
>>

> Well given the state of the project as it exists today in the Apache
> environment, I think this is fraught with MANY problems. What is "up" on
> Apache right now is really insignificant compared to what is available via
> OpenOffice.org. I think before doing this, we'd need to make a VERY
> comprehensive mapping list of what would be going where.
> I don't mean to overburden everyone with "details", but I think a
> "migration plan" complete with "areas" and timeframes might be in order.
> This would be useful to determine scope as well as creating a reasonable
> schedule.
>
> Someone would spend a LOT of time maintaining the redirect business.
> I'm concerned with acccess "blips" given this approach. Timing is
> everything.
>
> Additionally, some people, like me, have edit (committer) rights on parts
> of the OpenOffice web server to continue to make changes (if only
> informative) and no similar rights on Apache. Right now, I'm not doing much
> except trying to keep some reasonable info about the move updated on the
> OpenOffice.org site on some of the primary pages. But...I really have NO
> idea what others with commit rights are doing on that server at the moment.
> This would be interesting to find out.

I havent been able to do any commits to the site yet, but I also wonder what
is the status of this current site. Is there going to be any SSI? Who
choosed that template? How can I go about it to change it and if it's good

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jun 27, 2011, at 10:08 AM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

> Am 06/27/2011 02:28 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> Assuming we're not trying for a "big bang" migration where we move
>> everything at once, it seems we have two main approaches:
>>
>> 1) Assign existing OpenOffice.org DNS to Apache now.  For services
>> which we have not yet migrated to Apache we redirect back to Oracle's
>> server, by IP address.  As additional services are migrated to Apache,
>> we remove redirects.
>>
>> 2) Do it in the opposite direction:   DNS goes to Oracle's servers and
>> they redirect to Apache for services that we've migrated.  As services
>> are migrated we ask Oracle to add additional requests.  When
>> everything is migrated then we switch over the DNS.
>>
>> #1 seems a lot cleaner to me, and requires less coordination with
>> Oracle.  We control the DNS, redirects and generally set the pace of
>> migration.  But are there protocols beyond http/https that we need to
>> worry about?  For example, any ftp, smtp, nntp, etc. that would
>> complicate things?
>
> +1
>
> With 2) we would need to rely more on what Oracle is doing for us.

Joe Schaefer has requested the Zone file for openoffice.org to be used in a private discussion on infrastructure.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>
> Date: June 26, 2011 8:38:12 AM PDT
> To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Preserving Legacy Content (was: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members - AND USERS)
>
> At this point infrastructure would be interested in
> seeing the DNS zone file for openoffice.org, so we
> can get some idea of how many different services
> we're talking about.
>

> If someone has that information, please forward it
> to me privately.  Thanks.

I think that Infrastructure will have a definite opinion. I think for DNS there really isn't much choice to deviate from 1)

a) Transfer Domain Registration to ASF
b) Copy Zone files to ASF's DNS providers.
c) Change authoritative DNS servers to Oracle.

Once (a) and (b) are done the DNS for OpenOffice is completely in our hands.

Of course, there may be issues with doing so, but that's for Network savvy people to know after they actually see what is going on in the Zone file.

>> If we can agree on the general approach I don't see why we couldn't
>> start some migration this week.  Bugzilla, for example, seems to be a
>> straightforward.

Bugzilla is customized to provide help with choosing the correct component for the bug. This is due to both the large number of application parts and languages.

There was no clear preference expressed between JIRA and Bugzilla. I think JIRA provides better project management facility and I have been using for 9 years. But that's just me. I asked on Infra and Mark Thomas said that he might have a preference based on size. I suppose that is more a question of which Apache service has the most headroom right now plus backup sizes.

At this point though I think the consensus may turn out to be a move the Bugzilla. The overriding reason would be that the OOo community is ued to it. Even this requires co-ordination with Oracle.

a) Oracle puts the OOo bugzilla in read-only.
b) Oracle (or us) exports the whole bugzilla.
c) ASF Infra imports OOo bugzilla database into bugzilla - either a separate or the global.
	bugzilla input is not customized.
d) AOOo team adds appropriate frontend to markdown site. (This could be done in parallel to a, b and c.)
e) ASF Infrastructure redirects issues.openoffice.org to our new url.

One question, and this has been mentioned by Kay Schenk in another thread is managing all the redirections.

Since there is a lot of URL rewriting that is going to be involved, we need to find out how that ought to happen.

Regards,
Dave

Re: Top level question on website migration

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.