Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Jason Rosenberg <jr...@shopzilla.com> on 2008/02/08 21:29:11 UTC

problem with messages 'pending' and redelivery, after broker restart

I'm having an issue with amq 5.1-SNAPSHOT, when stopping and restarting the
broker.

I'll process a batch of messages through my application.  I'll look on the
webconsole, and see that all queues have no messages pending.  I then
shutdown the broker.

Often, when I bring the broker back up, the webconsole shows that there are
several messages back in the pending state.  Sometimes, these get
immediately redelivered to the application, sometimes they don't.

Sometimes also, if I then submit more fresh messages, these get processed
fine, but the ones that were pending on restart remain there.  Finally,
sometimes, the number of pending messages gets updated to a negative number.

I'm using amqPersistence.  But I saw the same thing happening too with
journaled jdbc/derby persistence (I didn't test that scenario too thoroughly
though)....

Anyway, I'm wondering if there are any ideas about this, does anything
obvious jump to mind.  Are there any config params to try?

I tried setting the syncOnWrite flag to true, that didn't help....

I'm wondering about the cleanupInterval param, might that be something to
reduce (default is 3 mins)...

Anyway, trying to understand this is a bug (seems like it) or the desired
behavior with the default config....something to do with optimizing
performance?

The message redelivery is the main thing that I'm concerned about....

Jason

Re: problem with messages 'pending' and redelivery, after broker restart

Posted by Jason Rosenberg <jr...@shopzilla.com>.
I tried working with the cleanupInterval (the default is 30 secs, not 30 mins
as I had indicated below)...

Not sure how to test....I sent a bunch of messages through, and then waited
5 minutes before shutting down the broker and restarting....I still see 2
messages sitting in the pending state in the webconsole (but none of the
consumers try to consume these)....

So, I'm thinking it's not to do with cleanupInterval?

Although a little more explanation on 'cleanupInterval' would be appreciated
(as well as most of the other params that are pretty lightly documented)....

Jason