Posted to dev@systemml.apache.org by Matthias Boehm <mb...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/10 09:42:43 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] integrated testing for MLContext, SPARK, codegen.

Hi Janardhan,

in general, we prefer to compare against R because it helps detecting
issues that are common across different optimizers and execution modes. So
for small scripts like PCA, I would recommend to simply create an R script,
which should be very similar to the dml script.

However, for more complex scripts with lots of table, removeEmpty, and
matrix-vector operations, creating the R scripts can be tedious and
error-prone because it requires additional operations such as vector
replications. For such case (including some existing tests), we could
indeed compare the different modes (e.g., w/ and w/o codegen). Let's decide
that case by case.

Regarding MLContext, yes it would be good to extend the algorithm test
coverage by simply reusing the dml and R scripts from the existing
application or codegen tests.

Regards,
Matthias