Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Kier Salmon <ki...@sosuser.com> on 2000/08/08 16:41:38 UTC

Xerces and Delphi

Those file servers are down and down and down.  Anybody know why?  I think
I've seen the "up by Friday" message slide past two Fridays already.
I had an email some 10 days ago refering me to the archives because I need
to implement a proceedure in a delphi program that will take an XML document
and populate a table with the data. According to that email (not on this
list) somebody wrote a neat little delphi implementation and it "should" be
in the archives.
My company has a "no bought third party" software requirement on this.  IE's
XML parser and DOM are considered iffy because A) do not always follow
standards.. (Hmm) and B) not open source.
Given the size of some of the files I'm going to have to break down, I would
rather use SAX than DOM.
I have the incantations for 2 possible implementations using IE or Calvert,
but I'm really sold on working with apache.  I can't sell the company on it
(Of 15 of us only 2 of us care or understand the open-source issues) unless
I have a product to show them "Look how easy!"

RE: Xerces and Delphi

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
I already worked with MSXML + Delphi and my oppinion is
that you will probably have better oportunities to show
the advantages of Open Source software in the future.

I am moving from Delphi to Java my self but my last
project was Delphi + MSXML3 and it is was quite nice.

Now, if you do that you should NOT use IE5 non standard
implementation. You should use MSXML3 July release, which
now also includes a SAX2 interface.

MSXML3 is a beta which is now (July edition) almost
completely compliant with the current XML standards and
that is already much more solid than IE5's version.
Besides being very very FAST too.

You can find a link to it from:
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml

Also download the SDK (which includes documentation)
and check the few active bugs.

And you also get a nice MSXML3 FAQ at:
  http://www.netcrucible.com/xslt/msxml-faq.htm
that clears much of the confusion about it.

MS-Marketing has taken a few steps that screwed a bit
this project. However, this is one of those few
initiatives at Microsoft that should be encouraged,
because:
 - MSXML3 is free;
 - The team listens to developers feedback;
 - The quality of the product is very good;
 - They are considering to ofer the source.

MSXML3 is the one non-tiny project at MS that is
closer to Open Source practices. Maybe the one with
more probability to be Opensourced at M$.

Let's kick M$ when it screws it but let's encourage
what it is well done there too.

(And it wouldn't be bad having such code as
inspiration for Apache XML projects in the future.)

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar