Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Akoulov, Alexandre" <al...@citigroup.com> on 2006/02/13 05:01:01 UTC

Encrypting ajp13 traffic

Hi all,

I am wondering if there is a way encrypt the traffic between apache and tomcat when they talk to each other on ajp13.

All suggestions are welcome.

Kind regards,

Sasha.

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
Sasha,

There are several ways to accomplish this, and I think it has been mentioned
on the list before but I don't remember a "best way" if it was decided there
is one.

Options include:
VPN
IPSec (part of VPN)
ssh
isolated lan segment (if feasible, IE your side of network)

There may already be something out there. If so, someone here will know.

Doug

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
While I can't speak for the O.P., I have had need for this myself once
upon a time.

Consider a setup where the content has to be secured via SSL and
communication to/from the tomcat is over untrusted infrastructure  SSL
can't be proxied, so there is a need for the AJP/13 communication to be
encrypted.  My solution at the time was to setup a SSH tunnel between
the two systems.

It would be nice to have some form of encryption optionally available.

Food for thought.

 -- David

Mark Thomas wrote:
> Akoulov, Alexandre wrote:
>
>> I am wondering if there is a way encrypt the traffic between apache and tomcat when they talk to each other on ajp13.
>>
> Why do you want to do this? What requirement are you trying to meet /
> security threat are you trying to mitigate?
>
> Mark

David Smith
Network Operations Supervisor
Department of Entomology