Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2013/01/31 17:47:52 UTC

[VOTE] Drop Java 5 Support in General

Hi,

we see more and more problems with supporting Java 5 and we discussed
this several times in the past year(s?). So let's finally call a vote
and see where we all are.

I propose to drop Java 5 support in general - we should try to stick
to it where possible for supporting existing installations, but each
module should be free to set the base to Java 6 if it makes sense.

We should also mark the bundles which require Java 6 (I think Felix
proposed a way for this some time ago).

Please cast your votes :)

Regards
Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Drop Java 5 Support in General

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
+1
Ian

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
+1

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...I propose to drop Java 5 support in general - we should try to stick
> to it where possible for supporting existing installations, but each
> module should be free to set the base to Java 6 if it makes sense....

That was quick..+1

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Drop Java 5 Support in General

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
If we set Java 6 as the minimum for all modules, this creates
unnecessary work to ship a bugfix or enhancements to users running on
Java 5. And we have a lot of them.
The difference between Java 5 and Java 6 in terms of the languange or
the libraries is not that huge, so I think there is rarely a need to
really require Java 6 for a module. If it does, it's fine - but if not
we should not disable it from running in existing installations per
default

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

[VOTE RESULT] Drop Java 5 Support in General

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Hi,

thanks everyone - the vote to drop Java 5 support in general passed
with +1 votes: Justin Edelson, Mike Müller, Ian Boston, Felix
Meschberger, Jeff Young, Antonio, Sanso, Carsten Ziegeler, and
Bertrand Delacretaz.

I'll create an issue for this and update our parent pom with some support

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@justinedelson.com>.
+1

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Deal

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@justinedelson.com>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
2013/1/31 Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 9:19 PM, Justin Edelson
> <ju...@justinedelson.com> wrote:
>> ...I want people to be able to checkout the Sling source code and make changes
>> to it and contribute those changes back. I don't want them wasting time
>> worry about (a) how to write Java 5-compatible code or (b) whether or not
>> to update the particular module they are interested in to Java 6....
>
> What we can do, and IIUC what Carsten suggests is leave some modules
> on Java 5 for now (setting source=1.5 in pom) if they don't currently
> require Java 6.
>
> Then, if someone has a good reason to move a given module to Java 6,
> do that, maybe with a vote first.

Exactly, though I think no vote is needed.

Carsten

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@justinedelson.com>.

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Would saying we dont "support" Java 5 evidenced by not having a CI
build, but in the modules avoiding using Java6 features (eg
@Overrides) be enough ?

That could still be enforced by keeping source and target to 1.5

It would probably be good to keep the jdk5.properties around in
launchepad so you can spin up a container under 5 to test.
Ian

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
On 2013-01-31 19:58, Justin Edelson wrote:
> -0
>
> Why even try to support Java 5? Let's just say Java 6 as a minimum across
> the board and be done with it.

Indeed.

Or even Java7.

Best regards, Julian

Re: [VOTE] Drop Java 5 Support in General

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@justinedelson.com>.
-0

Posted by Mike Müller <mi...@mysign.ch>.
+1