Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Siddiq Syed <si...@yahoo.com> on 2009/04/25 01:47:04 UTC

result type -- redirect-action vs dispatcher.

Hi all,

Problem statement. :

When validation happens in struts 2 it will redirect to result type "Input" if type="tiles" JSP will display the validation message and If result type="redirect-action" , validation message will not get display.
In order to display validation messages , I am using interceptor where validation messages are will be stored in session and the same will be displayed in JSP.

Problem is validation messages are getting displayed but the values are getting lost in the text boxs. The reason for this is because its the brand request object because of redirect-action.

Is there any way where i can forward to action , but still can able to retrive the previous request. ?

I know we can use dispacther , but dispacther uses only ".jsp" .

Regards
siddiq.

Re: result type -- redirect-action vs dispatcher.

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
On Friday 24 April 2009 19:47:04 Siddiq Syed wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Problem statement. :
>
> When validation happens in struts 2 it will redirect to result type
> "Input" if type="tiles" JSP will display the validation message and If
> result type="redirect-action" , validation message will not get display. In
> order to display validation messages , I am using interceptor where
> validation messages are will be stored in session and the same will be
> displayed in JSP.
> Problem is validation messages are getting displayed but the values are
> getting lost in the text boxs. The reason for this is because its the brand
> request object because of redirect-action.
> Is there any way where i can forward to action , but still can able to
> retrive the previous request. ?
> I know we can use dispacther , but dispacther uses only ".jsp" .

I could be wrong, but i think redirectAction is the only result type that ends
up with a new request... I don't really understand the use case where
validation fails and you want to go to input for a different action... Can you
post your struts.xml section pertinent to this problem.

-Wes

--

Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice

Re: result type -- redirect-action vs dispatcher.

Posted by dusty <du...@yahoo.com>.
So I am not sure what you mean when you say that chain executes no matter
what happens.  You have some action config like:

<action class="xxx" method="xxx">
   <result name="input" type="chain">processFAIL</result>
   <result name="success" type="redirect">/xxx?id=${id}</result>
</action>

Chain is only running here if your action returns "input".  Your action is
only returning input because of the workflow interceptor.  If you take out
that inteceptor then you need to deal with the validation, look for error
messages and figure out what to return.  Workflow & Validation are used
together in 99%+ of struts2 apps, but they don't have to be.......

I guess the point is that chain will only run if your action wants that
result.  In the end though I think you may want to think about the
complexity of this one action.   Take a look at this warning in the Struts2
documentation:

http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/action-chaining.html

What you are describing is exactly what the chain interceptor is there for.

Posted by Siddiq Syed <si...@yahoo.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Siddiq Syed <si...@yahoo.com>.
Hi ,