Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Gunther Birznieks <gu...@extropia.com> on 2000/12/08 01:13:55 UTC

Re: Alliance? WAS -> Re: RFC: mod_perl advocacy project resurrection

The could be although ActiveState has a product that competes with mod_perl
on the NT side called PerlEx.

What is too bad about the silence about the relationship is that PerlEx as
a product could really benefit from evolving upon the back of a mod_perl
code base.

...In terms of rapidly finding bugs with persistent Perl engines in a
larger user base as well as sharing mod_perl's Guide (which is way better
than the docs that come with PerlEx -- eg the PerlEx docs suggest sharing a
DBI Handle using $dbh ||= connect() instead of Apache::DBI which would work
much better under PerlEx straight out of the box!) .

I've suggested this before on their PerlEx user list but have been ignored
by them. Afterawhile I just stopped any suggesting as I interpret the lack
of response to mean that they feel differently but for whatever reason
won't state such reasons publicly and don't feel its worth the time in lieu
of anything else.

Maybe they would feel different now if someone else approached them.

Gunther Birznieks (gunther.birznieks@extropia.com)
eXtropia - The Web Technology Company
http://www.extropia.com/

Re: Alliance? WAS -> Re: RFC: mod_perl advocacy project resurrection

Posted by Robin Berjon <ro...@knowscape.com>.
At 08:13 08/12/2000 +0800, Gunther Birznieks wrote:
>The could be although ActiveState has a product that competes with mod_perl
>on the NT side called PerlEx.
>
>What is too bad about the silence about the relationship is that PerlEx as
>a product could really benefit from evolving upon the back of a mod_perl
>code base.

In addition to that, they also have Zope-Perl, which iirc is run for AS by
Gisle Aas, who probably knows a lot about mod_perl. Now if AS would support
mod_perl, they'd get a very broad range of products for the dynamic server
marketplace. That could be a good argument for them support mod_perl.

-- robin b.
Paranoids are people, too; they have their own problems.  It's easy to
criticize, but if everybody hated you, you'd be paranoid too.