Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Bruno VERNAY <Br...@Proval.fr> on 2002/02/06 16:03:28 UTC

Using FOP in an applet ?

Hi,

  What I would like to do is send XML to the browser client (MS-IE6, in the
case of our extranet, but not limited to.)
  There, show it on screen as html/css (already possible with XSLT and the
MS-XML dll.)
   and print it as PDF ... (Impossible for now, why didn't MS implement css
@page.)

Would it be a *solution* to embed FOP in an applet and use it on the client
to print PDF ?

PS : After some research, I didn't find anything about "FOP and Applet".
I know that it it possible to use FOP with Servlet, PHP and many Apache
project.
I know about WebGrabber, PdfLib, RenderX ...
(This means : I am not expecting people on this list to be at my service,
but I came to the point where I need help to continue.)

	Thanks.

Re: Using FOP in an applet ?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch>.
> Would it be a *solution* to embed FOP in an applet and use it on the client
> to print PDF ?

Maybe. I didn't try it but I don't see a reason that it shouldn't work
as long as you ensure that a Sun Java PlugIn is installed (Microsoft VM?
I don't think so.) and the application is running in an intranet. I
mention the latter because the loading times for FOP over the internet
will be a killer:
fop.jar: 1.8MB
batik.jar: 2.2MB
jimi-1.0.jar: 445MB
etc.

It's probably better if you provide a server-based solution for creating
your documents. On the other side, you always have to transfer the
documents, too. And they may be big...

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch

OUTLINE AG
Fon +41 41 317 20 20 - Fax +41 41 317 20 29
Internet http://www.outline.ch

Re: Using FOP in an applet ?

Posted by Cyril Rognon <cr...@objectiva.fr>.
Embeding FOP in an applet would make your applet humongous. It would only
be possible in a LAN configuration with high band-width.

I think the best way would be to allow a server side pdf generation with
fop that would be used by your applet.

Hope that helps

Cyril