Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/07 02:18:17 UTC

[crypto] On Java 6, really?

Are we really starting a new component on a dead platform like Java 6?

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
+1

Re: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Sebb,

sebb <se...@gmail.com> schrieb am Di., 7. Juni 2016 um 19:27 Uhr:

> On 7 June 2016 at 18:11, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Hello Sebb,
> >
> > sebb <se...@gmail.com> schrieb am Di., 7. Juni 2016 um 18:09 Uhr:
> >
> >> Does the project *need* to use any Java7 features?
> >>
> >> Is it working OK now with Java 6 as the minimum?
> >>
> >> If the answers are No and Yes then moving to Java 7 seems to me to be
> >> unnecessary for the initial release.
>
>                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >>

> > I think people have expressed in various ways that they don't want to
> work
> > on projects which are stuck on dead Java version. I think we have to
> > respect this.
>
> I think you have misunderstood my point.
>
> I'm not saying that the code needs to stay on Java 6 for future releases.
>
> However, assuming that it is working OK on Java 6, it seems silly to
> insist that the developers update it to use Java 7 *now*.
>
> Especially since the code appears to be about ready for a release.
>
> Changing to Java 7 now would require additional work which would delay
> the release.
>
> But by all means move to Java 7 for the next release if the developers
> who are actually working on it agree that it is necessary.

Nicely put. I think we're on the same site here.

Benedikt

Re: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Sebb,

Re: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.
I thought there was a discussion after the project was set up to move to Java 7?

That being said I see that the pom still defines 1.6 as the target...

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 7:18 PM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are we really starting a new component on a dead platform like Java 6?
>
> Gary

> <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

--
Marcelo

Re: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by ec...@zusammenkunft.net.
Hello,

IBM, SAP and HP also maintain/support Java 6 runtimes for still some time. The audience get smaller and we should not restrict developers to use/provide Java 8 features but if a component team is happy to start a new project with Java 6, why not... (especially since there are also Hadoop landscapes stuck with Java 6).

Gruss
Bernd

--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net

Posted by "Gangumalla, Uma" <um...@intel.com>.

On 6/14/16, 1:23 AM, "Gary Gregory" <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 1:21 AM, Gangumalla, Uma
><um...@intel.com>
>wrote:
>
>> Then next release(after 1.0.0) must be a major release you mean?
>> If there are no potential users looking for JDK 1.6, dropping now should
>> be good idea IMO.
>>
>> I also remembered that we wanted to mark 1.0.0 release as Alpha right?
>> (just a question)
>>

>1.0 is 1.0. If we want an alpha, we must label is as such, for example
>1.0-alpha1, 1.0-beta1. There is no 1.0 is an alpha and 1.1 is a "real"
>release.

Yeah, right on naming.
What others think on that?

Re: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jun 14, 2016, 10:57 Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2016 7:51 AM, "James Carman" <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > The trick is if we want to require a major version upgrade to bump JDK
> > levels. That's why you'd want to bump it now if possible.
>
> We've not required major version bumps for Java bumps in the past.
>
> Gary

Required or not, it's certainly a more pleasant experience for users with
moderate expectations to bump at major versions.

RE: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by "Sun, Dapeng" <da...@intel.com>.
Thank all for the comments. I will file a jira to update CRYPTO to JDK 1.7.

Regards
Dapeng

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
If it's compiled at a higher target version, it's not a drop-in
replacement. They must upgrade their JRE. One might argue that's actually

Re: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

RE: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
+1 to JDK7 on crypto

RE: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by "Sun, Dapeng" <da...@intel.com>.
> Then next release(after 1.0.0) must be a major release you mean?
> If there are no potential users looking for JDK 1.6, dropping now should be good idea IMO.

Thank Uma, I just checked there is no much changes on upgrading JDK to 1.7, I think we can upgrade before this release.

Re: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by "Gangumalla, Uma" <um...@intel.com>.

RE: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I really don’t think the premier & extended support dates should really mean much, except as an indicator of how many users of that version might still exist.  Basically, no new features are going to be added to Java so I don’t think we should be targeting new features there either. If there is a bug that needs to be fixed it should be possible to do it on a branch of the the release for that version of Java.  The web site should clearly indicate which versions of the component support the appropriate Java versions.

Re: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [crypto] On Java 6, really?

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Gary,

Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> schrieb am Di., 7. Juni 2016 um
04:18 Uhr:

> Are we really starting a new component on a dead platform like Java 6?

As far as I understand the whole point of crypto was to bring this kind of
crypto performance to Java 6.