Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "pjauffret@nomade.fr" <pj...@nomade.fr> on 2002/02/18 20:26:29 UTC

Struts runtime failure on Weblogic 5.1Sp8 (in custom tag 'message')

hello,

I'm trying to run the Struts 1.0 Example application
using WebLogic 5.1 (Service Pack 8) on NT2000. I'm
deploying the "Struts-Example" application as a .war
file. I followed all the steps in the ReadMe and
Install documentation. However, upon starting the server
and trying access the root page, I encounter the
following run-time exception:

<E> <ServletContext-strutsexample> root cause of
ServletException javax.servlet.ServletException: runtime
failure in custom tag 'message'at
jsp_servlet._index._jspService(_index.java,
Compiled Code)at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspBase.service
(JspBase.java:27)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet
(ServletStubImpl.java:105)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet
(ServletStubImpl.java:123)
at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet
(ServletContextImpl.java:742)
at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet
(ServletContextImpl.java:686)
at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextManager.invokeServ
let(ServletContextManager.java:247)
at weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.invokeServlet
(MuxableSocketHTTP.java:361)
at weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.execute
(MuxableSocketHTTP.java:261)
at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run
(ExecuteThread.java, Compiled Code)

I've search the mailing list archives, and it seems that
others have had a similar problem. However, I did not
find a documented solution that works for me. Here's some
more details about my particular situation:
1) I have to modify the DocType statement in the web.xml
file to use "DTD Web Application 1.2" instead of "DTD Web
Application 2.2". This prevents the following error msg
from occurring when starting the webserver.
"[ExternalEntity] : Could not resolve entity '-//Sun
Microsystems, Inc.
//DTD Web Application 2.2//EN'. Check your dtd reference."

2) The struts.jar and *.tld files are located in my the
webapps/WEB-INF/lib folder.

3) As suggested in another mail msg, I added the
following jar as the first statement in my classpath:
c\:jakarta-struts\webapps\wlssp8-struts.jar

4) As stated in the Install documentation, I've manually
extracted the ApplicationResources.properties from the
*.war file and copied it to the _tmp_war folder created
by WebLogic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am totally
stuck.

Thanks,

Pierre