Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> on 2011/08/20 21:17:56 UTC

[Discuss] ASF hosted openoffice.org email service [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]

Changing the subject as requested by Daniel

On Aug 20, 2011, at 10:52 AM, Shane Curcuru wrote:

> On 8/19/2011 4:58 PM, TJ Frazier wrote:
>> Hi, Dave
>> On 8/19/2011 13:48, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>>
>>> On Aug 19, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Mathias Bauer wrote:
>>>
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Not sure about it. There are considerations.
>>>
>>> (1) How do we get the forwarding data from Oracle? Is it legal to
>>> transfer the list, or is it required?
>>>
>>> (2) Will the ASF host this forwarding on the normal apache.org mail
>>> servers
>>>
>>> (3) Who on the OOO PPMC will handle the daily administration of these
>>> forwarders as individual email addresses change?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave
>>>
>> For (1) and (3): the addresses are part of the account with OO.o. The
>> forwarding address is the user's registered (verified) email address for
>> the account. Accordingly, the info will be transferred with the account
>> data, and is administered (for changes) by the user.
>>
>> (2) Can't really say if ASF can/will forward. Why not?
>
> Currently, ASF infra provides mail forwarding and sending capability for committers, but no-one else.  Committers are people who have shown clear merit (i.e. they've been voted in by one of our project communities) and also have signed an iCLA, so we have some sort of relationship with them.
>
> Personally, I would not envision allowing any new me@oo.o email addresses to be created, unless they're for committers (who should probably use an @apache.org id instead).  I don't quite know what to do with the many existing aliases, however.  Short term we certainly can keep them (seem useful to people) but long term we would indeed need to see how 1) infra would support it, and 2) how the future PMC would provide oversight and manage any account issues (oh, yeah, that's your (3) above.

How would Infra support email forwarding for the openoffice.org domain? Would there be a text or xml file with a forwarding map in svn somewhere? Would all the email automatically go through spamassassin before forwarding?

If we had a single mapping then we can include redirection for all of the 100s of current OOo MLs into the several AOOo MLs along with the many individual emails.

Regards,
Dave