Posted to announcements@jakarta.apache.org by Magesh Umasankar <um...@apache.org> on 2002/06/24 16:03:05 UTC

Ant 1.5Beta3 Released

This is to announce that Jakarta Ant-Dev has released
the third beta of the forthcoming 1.5 release of
Apache Ant, a Java-based build tool.

The release is available in binary and source forms
at http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-ant/release/v1.5Beta3/

If you notice any problems with this release, please notify
Ant-Dev by filing a bug report at
http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Ant

Ant-Dev plans to make the 1.5 final release in the
second week of July, 2002.

Cheers,
Magesh

Re: Ant 1.5Beta3 Released

Posted by Ernst de Haan <zn...@FreeBSD.org>.
The website should be updated:

In http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/index.html :

"You can view the documentation for the current 1.5 Beta (Apache Ant 1.5Beta1)
online"

It should be Beta3 i.s.o. Beta1.

Also, when I click on "Ant API" I get sent to
http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/manual/api/index.html which redirects to
http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/manual/api/packages.html. But that page says:
"Apache Ant API has not been generated".

Ernst

On Monday 24 June 2002 16:03, Magesh Umasankar wrote:
> This is to announce that Jakarta Ant-Dev has released
> the third beta of the forthcoming 1.5 release of
> Apache Ant, a Java-based build tool.
>
> The release is available in binary and source forms
> at http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-ant/release/v1.5Beta3/
>
> If you notice any problems with this release, please notify
> Ant-Dev by filing a bug report at
> http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Ant
>
> Ant-Dev plans to make the 1.5 final release in the
> second week of July, 2002.
>
> Cheers,
> Magesh

> *  Boss: Someone who is early when you are late  *
> *  and late when you  are early.                 *

Ernst de Haan
EuroNet Internet B.V.

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ

Re: Ant 1.5Beta3 Released

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Once again, a big +10 for Magesh!

Re: Ant 1.5Beta3 Released

Posted by "Hal Hildebrand (web)" <Ha...@hellblazer.com>.
Sorry for the flip-flop again.  It does happen because the tasks are in
different class loaders.  Don't know why the test case doesn't cause the
issue, but my real build still does.

Don't worry about it.  Open source is designed to keep people like me
quiet by allowing us to change it to suit our twisted ends...

<g>

Cheers.

Re: Ant 1.5Beta3 Released

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> unless I run it -verbose -- which I think is probably actually wrong
> that it does it even then, since I'm not re-defining the task, more
> just reiterating its definition

No, you are using a different classloader with the new definition,
which means fresh static values - something that may become hard to
debug without the warning in verbose mode.

Stefan

Re: Ant 1.5Beta3 Released

Posted by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com>.
--- "Hal Hildebrand (web)" <Ha...@hellblazer.com> wrote:
> The issue is that I have build files that are designed to be called
> independently of one another, but also designed to be nested.

But why is that still a problem with beta3? You won't get that message
(unless you're running -verbose), so long as you're not in fact trying to

Re: Ant 1.5Beta3 Released

Posted by "Hal Hildebrand (web)" <Ha...@hellblazer.com>.
The issue is that I have build files that are designed to be called
independently of one another, but also designed to be nested.  That's
why each build file defines the same tasks.  I'm not sure how one could
achieve this result - which I think is a good pattern - without running
into this problem, short of putting all the task jars in ant/lib before
they are invoked.  Something that is tricky to do at best, and certainly
can get ugly and mess up the logs if exec is involved.

Perhaps all that is needed is to add an optional attribute to the
taskdef - say "ignoreOverride" - that if true will make the messages
verbose instead of warn?

In any event, since I seem to be the only one with the problem, I'll
stop my whining...  :)

Thanks for looking at this.

Cheers.

Posted by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Ant 1.5Beta3 Released

Posted by "Hal Hildebrand (web)" <Ha...@hellblazer.com>.
Why can't it just be MSG_VERBOSE instead of MSG_WARN?  Seems more
reasonable to me....  <g>

Seriously, though, these are built jars and we keep these things under
platform (just my source control anal retentiveness).  Some of them,
used by the installation image, are built during previous parts of the
build, and thus even if they were placed under ant/lib, they wouldn't be
pulled in - as that only happens in the shell invocation script, not in
recursive "ant" invocations.  Tasks in projects down the build
invocation tree use them after they've been built by previous steps.  So
this is a seemingly impossible condition to meet.  Basically, tasks we
use in the installation and end product are built by the build, and as
part of the build, are used for installation tasks.  I would have to use
"exec" to exec out and run ant again from the shell invocation script if
I wanted to avoid these problems.   Seems like an awful lot of
machination, and is incredibly ugly if nothing else...  Really messes up
the build listener and log, among other "side effects"...

Just my opinion, but I think piling everything into ant/lib isn't really
a good solution in any event because it kind of makes it into an unkempt
mess after a while.

Posted by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com>.
--- "Hal Hildebrand (web)" <Ha...@hellblazer.com> wrote:
> In the example where I get the messages, it is where tasks are defined
> via the form
>
>    <taskdef resource="test/tasks.properties" >
>         <classpath>
>             <pathelement location="test.jar"/>
>         </classpath>
>     </taskdef>

A-ha -- okay, that's what I didn't have. It only happens if the classpath
elements are new ones -- iow, if test.jar lived in ANT_HOME/lib, you
wouldn't get them, since they'd be included in the classpath that Ant runs
with. Or you can set the CLASSPATH env var to include test.jar prior to
running 'ant', since it's also included in the classpath that Ant runs
with. Are either of those options workable workarounds? I would think the
first one could be, since it seems reasonable to put a jar file of Ant
tasks into ANT_HOME/lib (and, unlike the second option, you don't have to

Re: Ant 1.5Beta3 Released

Posted by "Hal Hildebrand (web)" <Ha...@hellblazer.com>.
<Resend without "test.jar" attached, as Ant list rejects it>

My apologies for not including an example in the first place...

Attached are the build files:
    build.xml
    build2.xml

and the xml include:
    inc.xml

There is a custom task in:
    test.jar

The files
    tasks.properties
    TestTask.java

are the task definition properties and trivial task for "test.jar".

If you just detach the files into a directory, cd into the directory and
do "ant", the output will be:

Buildfile: build.xml
Trying to override old definition of task test

do-something:

do-something:
     [echo] hello sailor

Note that defining tasks using the form:

    <taskdef name="genjar"

classname="org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.genjar.GenJar"
                  classpath="${GEN_JAR_JAR}"/>

Does not seem to cause the warning messages.

In the example where I get the messages, it is where tasks are defined
via the form

   <taskdef resource="test/tasks.properties" >
        <classpath>
            <pathelement location="test.jar"/>
        </classpath>
    </taskdef>

Thanks

-Hal

Re: Ant 1.5Beta3 Released

Posted by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Ant 1.5Beta3 Released

Posted by "Hal Hildebrand (web)" <Ha...@hellblazer.com>.
Thanks for the release.  Fixes a lot of stuff from my testing so far.
Very cool.

However, the messages for overriding tasks still appear.

I see that some work was done in Project.defineTask() to try to solve
this, but to no avail.

Not trying to be mean, so take what I say with a grain of salt <g>

I understand why one would want to warn when tasks are attempted to be
overridden, but I don't know how to rectify the two competing
requirements.

The question is one of modularity.  Complex builds will inevitably have
common include XML fragments which define the common tasks.  Even if
they don't use XML include to do this, they will re-define the common
tasks used throughout the build.  This is inevitable.

In my case, we have about 20 tasks we use throughout the build, and at
least one or two are required for every build file in the system.

So I can certainly always take the Ant distribution and just change the
MSG_WARN into a MSG_VERBOSE.  It's not any really big deal - takes me a
few minutes.  But what I would like to understand from those that think
that the current behavior of Ant issuing the warning messages is a good
idea, is how to structure the system such that this doesn't happen.

Really, I just want to know what the work around is.  My belief - and
it's just my twisted mind that believes this, so bear with me - is that
unless a binary comparison is done on the task class, one will always
run into this problem.  So, the new change (1.4 - 1.5) will cause any
build which has custom tasks used in multiple projects in which projects
call tasks in other projects to spit out a vast number of irrelevant
warning messages.

Again, I just would like an explanation from those who think these
warnings are a good idea as to how to make them stop in a complex build
such as I have.  I just want to know what the work around is.

Thanks for listening.

Re: Ant 1.5Beta3 Released

Posted by Magesh Umasankar <um...@apache.org>.
Yes, this was specifically addressed.  Beta3
was not compiled using Jikes - rather a mixed
compile using JDK 1.3 and 1.4 was performed.
Glad it works for you now and thanks for the
feedback!

Cheers,
Magesh

* Wisdom comes to those who live long enough *
* to see things twice.                       *
Posted by Paul Christmann <pa...@priorartisans.com>.
FYI -