Posted to dev@ode.apache.org by Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/25 15:44:16 UTC

Getting started with GSOC 2014

Hi Thamaya, hi Zhen,

congratulations, your Google Summer of Code 2014 proposals (Zhen: OModel
refactoring; Thamaya: ODE Clusting) have been accepted. Sathwik and I are
happy to mentor both projects.

On 23. April 2014 08:09:45 MESZ, "Ulrich Stärk" <ul...@apache.org> wrote:
>We now are in the community bonding period [1] which lasts until May
>19. During this period students should learn about your project, your
>release processes, the Apache Way, how we do things around here,
>interact with the community and close any knowledge gaps they might
>have.

I think we should use this period to make sure that you get acquainted with
the code base and the community. Therefore, I think it would be great if we
could do a short weekly hangout to briefly discuss the progress you made,
the plans you have and the problems you experienced so that Sathwik and I
can help you getting over them. Could you please let me know your
timezones, your preferred day of week and google accounts so that I can try
to find suitable timeslot.

ODE currently has two active branches. The 1.3.x branch is the branch we
currently release from but do not actually develop new features. Trunk is
the branch that has new features but became incompatible due to some OModel
changes. Zhens project is addressing exactly this issue. Thus, we propose
that both projects should be based on the trunk code base. We'd suggest
that you create a github account (if you haven't one already) and create a
fork from our ODE mirror there [1]. You can then create a branch, based on
trunk, and put your work there. That makes it easy for us merge your
changes later on. Please let us know if you need assistance for that.

For the next steps, I think diving into the code base would we good start.
We're happy to explain the basic building blocks during the first hangout
and to iron out some initial buildr issues (in case you have some) so that
you have a stable workbench at hand.

WDYT?

Best regards,
  Tammo

[1] https://github.com/apache/ode

--
Tammo van Lessen - http://www.taval.de

Re: Getting started with GSOC 2014

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Although not an official mentor, I'll try to help out too.
Nobody seems to use the #apache-ode channel on freenode. I'll hang out there
as well (at least for a while) for a more interactive experience. I can be
found on other channels on codehaus (#camel and #activemq for instance).
Feel free to ping me with questions.

Cheers,
Hadrian