Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com> on 2006/08/19 10:20:15 UTC

Large Commits Fail

Can someone help me understand why I can't seem to perform large-scale
commits?  Is this a limitation of Subversion?  I have a reasonably
large - but not crazy - repository (roughly 3,000 files).  I just set
svn:keywords on all files from the root and that worked great.  When I
try to commit, however, the commit fails.  If I try the same commit
multiple times, the reason for the failure changes frequently.  The
"location" of the error (at least where it's reported in the commit
process) changes every single time.

Sometimes I get this:
At least one property change failed; repository is unchanged

Sometimes I get this:
CHECKOUT of '/repos/myproject/!svn/ver/16/branches/dev/tahoe-code-reorg/.java/src/com/wintertree/ssce/PropSpellingSession.java':
could not connect to server (http://vm-seprojects)

There are one or two others that make an appearance, too, but I don't
have access to those at the moment.  Considering the inconsistency
with which I get them and the locations in which they're reported, the
message itself may (or may not) be terribly important.

Seems like doing several smaller commits solves the problem, but
that's not really much of a solution.

This has happened to me before on large commits and I've never been
able to figure it out.  Anyone have any thoughts?

--

Rob Wilkerson

Re: Large Commits Fail

Posted by Kevin Greiner <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 8/19/06, Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can someone help me understand why I can't seem to perform large-scale
> commits?  Is this a limitation of Subversion?

Not that I'm aware of. I've committed hundreds of files at a time myself
although probably not 3,000 at  once. To take the network out of the
picture, can you try committing to a local fsfs repository?

Re: Large Commits Fail

Posted by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com>.
Well, if early indications prove accurate then I figured out what was
going on and have it fixed.  The default setting (in my distro) for
Apache's KeepAlive directive was set to "Off" in my httpd.conf.  I
don't know what made me change it (aside from my desperation), but
I've since done several large commits - including the one whose
failure prompted this thread - and all have worked perfectly.

When I put this out to the folks on the Apache mailing list, there was
some surprise that it had any bearing at all on this problem.  I'm
wondering if anyone here can think of a good reason.  Is it something
in the Subversion commit process?

I'd like to understand why it now works so I can feel confident that
it will continue working.

Thanks again to all who provided suggestions and insight.

Re: Large Commits Fail

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 22, 2006, at 16:30, Rob Wilkerson wrote:

> Is there any way to get Subversion to log its activity?  Or to access
> any information it already logs?  My large commit is still failing,
> Apache is still not reporting any problems in its logs (access or
> error) and my frustration is rising.  I'm not using BDB so I'm not
> sure where else to look.  I've done a tcpdump and nothing look out of
> the ordinary (not that I really know what "out of the ordinary" would
> look like).

Subversion unfortunately does not log anything. svnserve has no
logging, and mod_dav_svn has only the Apache log.

Re: Large Commits Fail

Posted by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the direct reply, Ted.  This is my response for the list...

I've tried TSVN, Windows command line and Cygwin command line.
They're all dying.  At this point, I'd walk the data to the server
myself, if I could.  At least I wouldn't trip on my way (hopefully).

--

Rob Wilkerson

Re: Large Commits Fail

Posted by Ted Dennison <de...@ssd.fsi.com>.

Struggling to compile on AIX

Posted by Reyer Meihuizen <re...@gmail.com>.
Hi folks

I am struggling to compile on AIX 5.2.
While running configure I noticed the following error:
Checking for Threads...

checking pthread.h usability... no

checking pthread.h presence... yes

configure: WARNING: pthread.h: present but cannot be compiled

configure: WARNING: pthread.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?

configure: WARNING: pthread.h: see the Autoconf documentation

configure: WARNING: pthread.h: section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"

configure: WARNING: pthread.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result

configure: WARNING: pthread.h: in the future, the compiler will take
precedence

configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------------ ##

configure: WARNING: ## Report this to the AC_PACKAGE_NAME lists. ##

configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------------ ##

checking for pthread.h... yes

**************

Then in trying to make, i get a compilation error related to pthread
(probably due to/related to above). Any ideas?

Did try Jim Hague's tar of the install files for AIX, but unfortunately hit
a separate issue there too.

thanks,
Reyer

**************

$ make

------ making all in apr

Making all in strings

/bin/sh
/globus/dev/bza/bnk.run/BZA.CPGMS/SVN/subversion-1.3.1/apr/libtool --silent
--mode=compile gcc -g -O2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H

-U__STR__ -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_USE_IRS -I../include -I../include/arch/unix -c
apr_snprintf.c && touch apr_snprintf.lo

In file included from ../include/apr_portable.h:47,

from apr_snprintf.c:23:

/usr/include/pthread.h:556: parse error before '*' token

/usr/include/pthread.h:560: parse error before '*' token

/usr/include/pthread.h:563: parse error before '*' token

/usr/include/pthread.h:566: parse error before '*' token

/usr/include/pthread.h:569: parse error before '*' token

/usr/include/pthread.h:572: parse error before '*' token

/usr/include/pthread.h:575: parse error before '*' token

/usr/include/pthread.h:578: parse error before '*' token

/usr/include/pthread.h:582: parse error before '*' token

/usr/include/pthread.h:585: parse error before '*' token

/usr/include/pthread.h:589: parse error before '*' token

Stop.

Re: Large Commits Fail

Posted by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com>.
All -

Is there any way to get Subversion to log its activity?  Or to access
any information it already logs?  My large commit is still failing,
Apache is still not reporting any problems in its logs (access or
error) and my frustration is rising.  I'm not using BDB so I'm not
sure where else to look.  I've done a tcpdump and nothing look out of
the ordinary (not that I really know what "out of the ordinary" would
look like).

I'm looking for anything here.  Desperation is taking over.  I've also
asked the Apache mailing list, but there's not much there since the
logs Apache show no problems.

Thanks.

--

Rob Wilkerson

Re: Large Commits Fail

Posted by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com>.

--

Rob Wilkerson

Re: Large Commits Fail

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Large Commits Fail

Posted by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com>.

Re: Large Commits Fail

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Large Commits Fail

Posted by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com>.
On 8/21/06, Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It's definitely this case.  I'm not using BDB as my repository.  Well,
> > I don't think I am.  I installed via rpm, so I guess I don't know that
> > for a fact.
>
> Ok, well, you didn't say what Subversion version your server is
> running nor what command you used to create your repository. If you
> can look into the repository directory (you said you can't eliminate
> the network from the equation), you should see log.* files in the db/
> directory. If you do, your repository is BDB.

You're right, I should have specified.  I didn't even think about it,
but I don't have any log.* files so I guess that makes it official.
:-)

> >  I found the Apache directive I believe you referenced
> > (LimitXMLRequestBody) and set it to 0 to disable the limit, but still
> > no go.  The error I get when trying to commit the merge is:
> >
> > COPY of path/to/file.ext: could not connect to server (http://saiprojects).
> >
> > The actual fail on which the commit fails varies, but the message is the same.
>
> Did you have a look in the error log? Maybe one of the Apache childs
> is segfaulting?

I've looked at the apache error and access logs and everything looks
pretty normal.  Nothing gets reported at all when the failure occurs.
Are there any svn logs I can look at?  I've tried to find some, but
either they don't exist or I can't find them.

Thanks again.

--

Rob Wilkerson

Re: Large Commits Fail

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Large Commits Fail

Posted by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com>.
On 8/21/06, Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the information, Erik.  How are Subversion commits
> executed?  One large XML file or file-by-file?  I'm getting the error
> again while trying to commit a large merge and I'd really like to keep
> the merge recorded in a single commit.  If the commit is file-by-file
> then it doesn't seem like this would really be the problem (but I also
> don't know what the XML format looks like).
>
> Thanks again.  I'd like to know as much as possible before trying this
> over and over again and risking the database itself.
>
> Thanks.
>
> On 8/21/06, Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8/19/06, Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Can someone help me understand why I can't seem to perform large-scale
> > > commits?  Is this a limitation of Subversion?  I have a reasonably
> > > large - but not crazy - repository (roughly 3,000 files).  I just set
> > > svn:keywords on all files from the root and that worked great.  When I
> > > try to commit, however, the commit fails.  If I try the same commit
> > > multiple times, the reason for the failure changes frequently.  The
> > > "location" of the error (at least where it's reported in the commit
> > > process) changes every single time.
> > >
> > > Sometimes I get this:
> > > At least one property change failed; repository is unchanged
> > >
> > > Sometimes I get this:
> > > CHECKOUT of '/repos/myproject/!svn/ver/16/branches/dev/tahoe-code-reorg/.java/src/com/wintertree/ssce/PropSpellingSession.java':
> > > could not connect to server (http://vm-seprojects)
> > >
> > > There are one or two others that make an appearance, too, but I don't
> > > have access to those at the moment.  Considering the inconsistency
> > > with which I get them and the locations in which they're reported, the
> > > message itself may (or may not) be terribly important.
> > >
> > > Seems like doing several smaller commits solves the problem, but
> > > that's not really much of a solution.
> > >
> > > This has happened to me before on large commits and I've never been
> > > able to figure it out.  Anyone have any thoughts?
> >
> > The Apache server has a maximum XML request body. If you surpass the
> > amount specified, the server hangs up the connection. In the second
> > case, you may have hit that problem. Search the Apache docs for the
> > parameter to set.

It's definitely this case.  I'm not using BDB as my repository.  Well,
I don't think I am.  I installed via rpm, so I guess I don't know that
for a fact.  I found the Apache directive I believe you referenced
(LimitXMLRequestBody) and set it to 0 to disable the limit, but still
no go.  The error I get when trying to commit the merge is:

COPY of path/to/file.ext: could not connect to server (http://saiprojects).

The actual fail on which the commit fails varies, but the message is the same.

I'd like to remove the network from the equation, but unfortunately, I
just can't do that.  Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

Re: Large Commits Fail

Posted by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com>.

--