Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by George Radev <ge...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/22 18:55:42 UTC

About the coupling between design and code

Hi All,

I found Wicket quite challenging framework for web applications and has many
advantages upon other competitors. I'm quite pleased with its flexibility
and find it suitable for many complex interfaces.

Wicket has quite interesting separation between Design and Code (HTML and
JAVA file), though it is quite coupled. It is very hard to send the HTML
files to the designer and parallel this process with coding, since we have
many  a_component.add(another_component) dependency, which we need to write
twice (once in the HTML and once in Code ).

Possible decoupling is:
 - to take dependency from the HTML file since it is read and validated.
This will make code more decoupled from the design by just calling
add(Component) within the class context.

- while iterating items with ListView it is easy to have the iterating part
within the tag and calling add(Component) within populate defines the
context to be according to iterating tag content.

I've also developed some applications with Lotus, and there the abstraction
between the design and the code is bound only by the name of the elements.
There is no need to know anything about nesting of the elements. Such
decoupling between the design and code could make the process of development
more parallel and rapid.

Thank you,

Cheers

George Radev

Re: About the coupling between design and code

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
there have been a couple of threads on this over time. you can search
the mailing list archives for the discussions. i think the result has
always been that there are certain very useful things we get from the
components being in hierarchy that we do not want to give up.

-igor

Posted by Korbinian Bachl - privat <ko...@whiskyworld.de>.
Hello Radev,

 > I've also developed some applications with Lotus, and there the
abstraction
 > between the design and the code is bound only by the name of the
elements.
 > There is no need to know anything about nesting of the elements. Such
 > decoupling between the design and code could make the process of
development
 > more parallel and rapid.

that sounds interesting to me. Can you post some examples how it goes
within Lotus?

Best,

Korbinian