Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by so...@fwd.at on 2002/11/12 22:25:06 UTC

Caching data for SOAP applications

hi there,

I have to implement a SOAP service with a lot of database queries to a Oracle DB.
- Has anybody already played around with the options available for connection pooling across SOAP-requests (e.g. the first SOAP-request opens up a connection, and all subsequent requests reuse the same physical connection)? There are lots of samples in the Oracle JDBC directory, but which is the most efficient?

- Has anybody found clever techniques for using Hashtables for small database tables to cache them in RAM (e.g. poll for changes every 10 times a request comes in and update the Hashtable in RAM if necessary)

- Has anybody done "Health monitoring" for SOAP requests? I've already implemented some stopper-services to monitor the duration of a SOAP request, but I'd like to make an application to keep track of all SOAP requests running through the wire, with an exception logging for slow queries/requests like mySQL has.

- Has anybody measured the new Zip-option for the SOAP requests available in the nightly builds after 2.3.1? How big is the performance impact/net efficiency gain?

Scott has already hinted me for some things, but if anybody else is having the same issues, maybe we can share some of the code....

Thx for your input!
I'll let the forum know as soon as some source is available....

Johannes
(johannes.fiala@fwd.at)

Re: Caching data for SOAP applications

Posted by Robert Dietrick <rd...@sega.com>.
soap@fwd.at wrote:
 > I have to implement a SOAP service with a lot of database queries to a Oracle DB. - Has anybody
 > already played around with the options available for connection pooling across SOAP-requests
 > (e.g. the first SOAP-request opens up a connection, and all subsequent requests reuse the same
 > physical connection)? There are lots of samples in the Oracle JDBC directory, but which is the
 > most efficient?

I'm using Oracle's connection cache: oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleConnectionCacheImpl.  Seems to work great.

And I initialize it with a javax.servlet.ServletContextListener.  This way it is initialized as soon
as Tomcat starts the webapp.

-rob

Re: Caching data for SOAP applications

Posted by Robert Dietrick <rd...@sega.com>.