Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Witham, Darren (Contractor)" <wi...@bp.com> on 2003/05/02 16:39:32 UTC

[users@httpd] SSL/mod_deflate

Hi,

   I recently tried to incorporate mod_deflate into my Apache 2.0.44 server
running on Windows so that everything other than images was compressed on
output using the following bulk standard declaration in my httpd.conf :

<Location />

   # Insert deflate filter

   SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

   # Don't compress images

   SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \
    \.(?:gif|jpe?g|png)$ no-gzip dont-vary

  # Make sure proxies don't deliver the wrong content

   Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary

</Location>

 Under my configuration mod_deflate and SSL seem to work fine independently
but when used together I get odd behaviour whereby some pages of my app
freeze. It is not a case of nothing works at all - just what would appear to
be random hanging, sometimes a page that froze before would appear to load
correctly another time.

  The pages I am calling are relatively complex jsp's, xsl, soap calls etc
so the problem could be occuring anywhere. I would be interested to know if
I missed anything noteable in configuring mod_deflate or if there are any
known issues regarding using mod_deflate with SSL ? The various logs I
generate appear to give me no clues whatsoever and the entries in them stop
at the point the app freezes.

Thanks in advance