Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Al...@miranda.com on 2014/01/20 17:59:01 UTC

versions maven plugin

Not sure if this is the right list for codehaus plugins. If not I
apologize

I have a pom with this

        <dependencies>
                <dependency>
                        <groupId>foo.blah</groupId>
                        <artifactId>bar</artifactId>
                        <version>1.2.0-RC-7-SNAPSHOT</version>
                </dependency>
        </dependencies>

I want to run the versions plugin to replace 1.2.0-RC-7-SNAPSHOT with the
version we actually released of the code, which is 1.2.0-RC-6. Looking at
the available mojos, it seems like versions:use-latest-releases is the
right one to use. In the matrix here it says that this goal will modify
-SNAPSHOT dependencies. Well, it doesn't. If i instead set the version to
1.2.0-RC-3 (no snapshot), the mojo does update the dependency to
1.2.0-RC-6 so I don't know if this is just the documentation being wrong.
I also tried use-latest-versions without success

Any idea how to do this? I just want to change the dependencies (which are
currently SNAPSHOT due to the m-release-p) to the latest released versions

Thank you,
Alejandro Endo | Software Designer/Concepteur de logiciels

DISCLAIMER:
Privileged and/or Confidential information may be contained in this
message. If you are not the addressee of this message, you may not
copy, use or deliver this message to anyone. In such event, you
should destroy the message and kindly notify the sender by reply
e-mail. It is understood that opinions or conclusions that do not
relate to the official business of the company are neither given
nor endorsed by the company.
Thank You.

Re: versions maven plugin

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
It sounded like a single reactor release of everything to me... in which
case staging is fine

RE: versions maven plugin

Posted by "James Nord (jnord)" <jn...@cisco.com>.

Re: versions maven plugin

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On 21 January 2014 09:41, James Nord (jnord) <jn...@cisco.com> wrote:

> I wouldn't have normally chimed in here against Stephen (He knows what he
> is on about) however...
>
> IMHO Staging only works with very small teams with dedicated
> infrastructure (in which case QC generally are ok with a rebuild!).
> If you have larger teams and share infrastructure (repo manager, CI)
> across projects (and binaries across teams) then that way will lead to
> madness.
>
> Or to put it another way Staging with any human intervention is evil.
> Staging without human intervention is doing things too late - you should
> know before hand that your code is good to go (if you use releases) - and
> if you are doing things without human intervention then you should know up
> front that the code is good to go - which means you don't need staging
> (apart form for an atomic deployment of a multi module build; but there are
> other ways to do that now).
>
> Or to put a contrived (yet realistic) example on this -
> Consider a shared library Y.  You have no auto testing of it so its only
> tested inside products (otherwise you know its good to go - and wouldn't
> release RCs).
> Library Y is in a stage at version 1.2.3
> This library is picked up from the stage and placed into a product Z
> (inside say an RPM)

If you are doing this then you are using staging wrong IMHO. A stage should
*only* be used for either testing the staged release *or* for where there
is a synchronized deliverable that must be built from a different machine,
e.g. the windows .DLL and the linux .so's

The case of Z may be OK as Z may be an arch specific component... but you
are calling it a product, so if it is a product then you should have closed
and released the library Y stage *before* you consume from Z

Z is released into a stage
> The library is picked up in product X (inside say another RPM)
> QC start testing Z.
> QC test X and it reveals a bug in Y.  Both stages (Y and X) are dropped
> QC finish testing Z from the stage and then promote it as its good.
> The Y developers re-spin 1.2.3...

Well the issue here is that you should only stage the last layer. In this
example Y cannot be tested on its own, so there is no point spinning RCs,
etc. You just have to bite the bullet and cut a release. It doesn't matter
whether you call the release 1.5-RC-1 or 1.5.0 because if you need to
respin, you'll be bumping another version anyway.

Where staging matters is at the last, publically visible, layer... i.e. Z.

You use staging for Z and just spin version numbers and releases for
everything else.

If Y and Z are in the same release root... then they both get staged. If
they are in separate release roots, then Y just bangs out releases and Z
has staging.

More complex is when both Y and Z are public... i.e. Y is the API client
that Z uses... well in that case how is a broken 1.5-RC-1 being out there
any different from a broken 1.5.0... the solution is obvious... you need
tests that you can trust... get those tests and then apply staging on Y

RE: versions maven plugin

Posted by "James Nord (jnord)" <jn...@cisco.com>.

Re: versions maven plugin

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

--
Sent from my phone

Re: versions maven plugin

Posted by Al...@miranda.com.

From:   Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>
To:     Maven Users List <us...@maven.apache.org>,
Date:   2014-01-20 13:50
Subject:        Re: versions maven plugin

Re: versions maven plugin

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

--
Sent from my phone

Re: versions maven plugin

Posted by Thomas Broyer <t....@gmail.com>.
Possibly using 1.0-SNAPSHOT instead of 1.0-RC-SNAPSHOT as your naming rule
would make it easier: you're working towards 1.0 and on the path to this
release you cut a few RCs: 1.0-RC-1, 1.0-RC-2, etc.
Le 20 janv. 2014 19:34, <Al...@miranda.com> a écrit :

> [...]
> > message. If you are not the addressee of this message, you may not
> > copy, use or deliver this message to anyone. In such event, you
> > should destroy the message and kindly notify the sender by reply
> > e-mail. It is understood that opinions or conclusions that do not
> > relate to the official business of the company are neither given
> > nor endorsed by the company.
> > Thank You.
> >

> DISCLAIMER:
> Privileged and/or Confidential information may be contained in this
> message. If you are not the addressee of this message, you may not
> copy, use or deliver this message to anyone. In such event, you
> should destroy the message and kindly notify the sender by reply
> e-mail. It is understood that opinions or conclusions that do not
> relate to the official business of the company are neither given

Re: versions maven plugin

Posted by Al...@miranda.com.

From:   Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>
To:     Maven Users List <us...@maven.apache.org>,