Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org> on 2018/09/06 00:36:17 UTC

[DRAFT] Podling report

Sorry for sending out at very last minute (deadline is today). Please take
a look.

I have added a paragraph regarding the branding discussion that happen in
early June (as discussed with Taylor then) since the previous draft was
already out at that point.

-------

Pulsar
Pulsar is a highly scalable, low latency messaging platform running on
commodity hardware. It provides simple pub-sub semantics over topics,
guaranteed at-least-once delivery of messages, automatic cursor management
for
subscribers, and cross-datacenter replication.

Pulsar has been incubating since 2017-06-01.

Most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  None

aware of?

  Earlier in June there have been few discussions on the private list
  regarding communications regarding Pulsar that were not coming from
  PPMC or that were not respecting the ASF policies.  Clarifications
  followed between PPMC members, mentors and interested parties to
  ensure the mistakes were made in good faith and, in particular, to
  make sure everyone was fully has full understanding of ASF
  policies. There was no other branding related issue after the first
  occourence.

  The community added 8 new contributors that submitted pull-requests
  which were merged into master.

  The number of users approaching the team on the Slack channel has
  kept steadily increasing since the last report. Many users have
  actively deployed. Pulsar for evaluation and production use cases.

  Different meetups were organized by project members and hosted by
  Yahoo in Sunnyvale and Yahoo Japan in Tokyo. We have presented
  Pulsar's introductions, updates on the state of the projects,
  deep-dives and hands-on tutorial, including recorded podcasts.

  One talk on Pulsar was presented at one at OSCon in July and there
  are several scheduled talks: 2 at ApacheCon in September, and 2
  others at Strata New York in September.

  Since the last report the number of weekly-active-users on the Slack
  channel has increased from 53 to 88.

  28 authors have pushed 494 commits to master in the last 3 months.

  The project has made the its seventh release since joining the
  Apache Incubator (2.1.0-incubating on Aug 2nd).

  This release introduced these new features:

   * Pulsar IO: A connector framework for moving data in and out of
     Apache Pulsar leveraging Pulsar Functions runtime.
   * A number of builtin connectors: (Aerospike, Cassandra, Kafka,
     Kinesis, RabbitMQ, Twitter)
   * Tiered Storage: An extension in Pulsar segment store to offload
     older segments into long term storage (e.g. HDFS, S3). S3 support
     is supported in 2.1 release.
   * Stateful function: Pulsar Functions is able to use State API for
     storing state within Pulsar.
   * Pulsar Go Client
   * Avro and Protobuf Schema support

  Community is actively working on a bug-fix release
  (2.1.1-incubating) and on the next milestone, 2.2 release for which
  the biggest feature will be support for SQL within Pulsar.

  Since June, 5 new PIPs (Pulsar Improvement Proposals) for
  major feature/changes, have been submitted to the wiki and
  discussed in the mailing list.

    PIP 23: Message Tracing By Interceptors
    PIP 22: Pulsar Dead Letter Topic
    PIP 21: Pulsar Edge Component
    PIP 20: Mechanism to revoke TLS authentication
    PIP 19: Pulsar SQL

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:
  2018-08-02, 2.1.0-incubating

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2018-06-11 - Ivan Kelly
  2018-06-11 - Jia Zhai

--
Matteo Merli
<mm...@apache.org>

Re: [DRAFT] Podling report

Posted by Jerry Peng <je...@gmail.com>.
+1

Very nicely done!

Best,

Jerry

Re: [DRAFT] Podling report

Posted by Rajan Dhabalia <dh...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Re: [DRAFT] Podling report

Posted by Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org>.
that should be +1

Re: [DRAFT] Podling report

Posted by Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org>.
lgtm +!

Re: [DRAFT] Podling report

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
+1 looks good

Re: [DRAFT] Podling report

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
+1

Thanks Matteo.

-Taylor

Re: [DRAFT] Podling report

Posted by David Kjerrumgaard <da...@streaml.io>.
+1  looks good

> [...]

>   (2.1.1-incubating) and on the next milestone, 2.2 release for which
>   the biggest feature will be support for SQL within Pulsar.
>
>   Since June, 5 new PIPs (Pulsar Improvement Proposals) for
>   major feature/changes, have been submitted to the wiki and
>   discussed in the mailing list.
>
>     PIP 23: Message Tracing By Interceptors
>     PIP 22: Pulsar Dead Letter Topic
>     PIP 21: Pulsar Edge Component
>     PIP 20: Mechanism to revoke TLS authentication
>     PIP 19: Pulsar SQL
>

> How would you assess the podling's maturity?
> Please feel free to add your own commentary.
>
>   [ ] Initial setup
>   [ ] Working towards first release
>   [ ] Community building
>   [X] Nearing graduation
>   [ ] Other:
>
> Date of last release:
>   2018-08-02, 2.1.0-incubating
>
> When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

David Kjerrumgaard
Director - Solution Architecture
Streamlio
Cell: 330-437-5467