Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/08 19:28:11 UTC

Mavibot web site needs a review

Hi guys,

I started to create the Mavibot web site with Pierre-Arnaud help. It's
not visible on the main site yet, but you can check it on the staging site :

http://directory.staging.apache.org/mavibot/

Any review/feedback welcome !

Note : the downloads page aren't yet updated because the vote is on its
way. The packages are available at people.apache.org/~elecharny

Thanks !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Mavibot web site needs a review

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 8/9/13 5:32 AM, Ole Ersoy a écrit :
> Me again,
>
> I did a second review of the front page.  Just a few tiny updates /
> suggestions:
>
> ===================================================================================
>
> Apache Mavibot™
>
> Mavibot is a Multi Version Concurrency Control (MVCC) BTree in Java.
> It is expected to be a replacement for JDBM (The current backend for
> the  Apache Directory Server), but could be a good fit for any other
> project in need of a Java MVCC BTree implementation.

Yeah, it's better. I replaced the current sentence with yours.

> ===================================================================================
>

> Also I think it would be better to keep the news links separated onto
> their own page with with a left hand side navigation link as the
> doorway.  This way the front page has its role "What is Mavibot?" and
> the news page has it's role - "Here's what's up".

This is problematic... We would like to have a short description of what
is the project on the front page, but still be able to show the news on
the same page.

Not sure how we can do that in an efficient way.

But I agree that the way we do it currently is not good.

Re: Mavibot web site needs a review

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.
> Hi Ole,
>
> long time, no see :-)

I know - Kids sports and Ali G episodes :).

> Many thanks for your patienc, Ole, and I'm please you are still around :-)

Thanks - I really enjoyed reading up on the Mavibot project.  Please let me know whenever there's more to review, etc.  Looks really promising.

Cheers,
- Ole

Re: Mavibot web site needs a review

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 8/8/13 11:22 PM, Ole Ersoy a écrit :
> Hi Emmanuel,

Hi Ole,

long time, no see :-)

> Great work!  Some notes:
>
> HOME PAGE:
> - Perhaps link MVCC Btree (Top of the front page) to
> https://cwiki.apache.org/labs/mavibot.html
>   <strong>MVCC Btree</strong> >> <a
> href="https://cwiki.apache.org/labs/mavibot.html">MVCC Btree</a>

I'd rather not mention the labs, as the project has migrated to Directory.

> - Mavibot is a MVCC BTree in Java...Stated twice with very few words
> between...I would move the second paragraph under the news
> announcement to the top so it's not repeated.
Yeah... I have removed the second sentence in the news, and copy it in
the main page.

> 5 MINUTE TUTORIAL
> - mmultiple >> multiple
> - Once the revision is not anymore in use >> Once the revision is no
> longer in use
>
> - As the Java garbage collector already keep in memory the most
> frequently used data, it's likely that the important pages - ie, the
> top of each BTree - will be kept in memory.
>

> keep >> keeps

Fixed.

> - WeakReference...is that a lazy loaded proxy?...Perhaps link to
> definition...

Yes, you are right. I added a link to Oracle reference.

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.
Hi Emmanuel,