Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Dominic Caputo <je...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/26 02:46:44 UTC

Upgrading SA to 3.2.2

I have been running spamassassin for the past few months on my mail server.
I am in the process of upgrading my version to the latest release and was
wondering if someone can verify my procedure is correct as I have not done
this before.

Is there a way to backup my current running release incase I encounter any
issues and need to role back to my current configuration?

wget
http://apache.wildit.net.au/spamassassin/source/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.2.tar.
gz

cpan
install LWP::UserAgent
install HTTP::Date

tar xvzf Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.2.tar.gz
perl Makefile.PL
make && make install

Here is my current local.cf file which is set to autolearn spam

required_score          5.0
report_safe             1
use_bayes               1
bayes_auto_learn        1
skip_rbl_checks 1
use_razor2              0
#use_dcc                 0
use_pyzor               0
#rbl_timeout 3
#ok_languages            en
ok_locales              en
#dns_available           no
#This is the directory and filename for Bayes databases
#bayes_path /var/qmail/spamassassin/
# bayes_ignore_header X-Bogosity
# bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Flag
# bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Status

sa-learn --sync
spamassassin -D --lint

spamassassin -t <
/usr/src/spamassasin/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.0/sample-nonspam.txt
spamassassin -t <
/usr/src/spamassasin/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.0/sample-spam.txt

Re: Upgrading SA to 3.2.2

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Dominic Caputo wrote:

> I have been running spamassassin for the past few months on my mail
> server. I am in the process of upgrading my version to the latest
> release and was wondering if someone can verify my procedure is
> correct as I have not done this before.
>
> Is there a way to backup my current running release incase I encounter
> any issues and need to role back to my current configuration?

No, unless you do it by hand. However, if you still have the unpacked
tarball you originally installed from, you should be able to just re-run
"make install" there and it should clobber the newer SA with the older
one. You might wind up needing to remove the newer .pre files from your
site rules dir (ie: /etc/mail/spamassassin), but that shouldn't be too hard.

As for your procedure, I would suggest the following modifications.

1) make sure you do a make test before you make install.

2) Before running spamassassin -D --lint, run just a plain spamassassin
--lint. Sometimes it's easy to over-look a serious config file warning
amidst the debug messages. (without the -D, the lint should just quietly
exit, but if there are issues parsing your config file it will
complain). After that, you can run one with -D if you like, but I
generally don't unless I'm looking for a specific problem and plan on
reading the entire output.

3) Personally, I never do my wget, untar and build process as root. This
might be a bit paranoid, but it does offer you the option of inspecting
the code safely. Unpacking a tarball as root isn't always safe, as some
versions of tar will honor absolute paths (ie: a tarfile containing
/bin/sh will go over-write /bin/sh).